Edition #485 | October 2019
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until October 14, 2021.
In This Edition
- Describe the causes, types, and severity of leukopenia.
- Diagnose and manage patients with febrile neutropenia.
- Distinguish between primary malignant and secondary physiologic causes of leukocytosis.
- Recognize and manage potential risks for survivors of leukemia.
- Screen adult survivors of pediatric leukemia for dyslipidemia, diabetes, and hypertension.
- Summarize the primary health issues affecting patients with hemoglobinopathies, such as sickle cell disease and thalassemias.
- Provide appropriate vaccinations and prescribe prophylactic oral penicillin for children with sickle cell disease until age 5 years to prevent infections.
- Evaluate patients with thrombocytopenia for common causes and know when to refer patients to a hematology subspecialist.
- Recognize and manage dangerous causes of thrombocytopenia, including heparin-induced thrombocytopenia.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits. Credit valid through October 14, 2021.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#485: Hematologic Conditions
CME credit approved through October 14, 2021.
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase.