Edition #487 | December 2019
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until December 2021.
In This Edition
- Summarize the effects of disasters on public health, including water and sanitation, safety and security, infection risk, and mental health.
- Describe the four phases of disasters and the initial steps in disaster declaration and response.
- Describe the key components of the incident command system and the hospital incident command system.
- Summarize the Department of Homeland Security recommendations for disaster planning.
- Describe the recommendations for patients in developing their own disaster preparedness plans. Describe the recommendations for the most vulnerable patients, including elderly patients, pregnant women, children, patients with disabilities, homeless patients, and patients undergoing dialysis or chemotherapy.
- Discuss the importance of participation in simulations, drills, and tabletop exercises as well as the creation of mutual aid agreements before disasters.
- Describe the roles of volunteers and responders during a disaster, including use of reverse triage to increase surge capacity, use of triage algorithms, and safety concerns for responders.
- Summarize options for maintaining availability of medical supplies and preparing for anticipated medical needs during disasters, including management of natural disaster-associated injuries, conditions, and trauma.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits. Credit valid through December 14, 2021.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#487: Disaster Medicine
CME credit approved through December 14, 2021.
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase.