FPM Series: The Direct Observation of Primary Care Study
This series of FPM articles offers practical lessons from the Direct Observation of Primary Care (DOPC) Study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health and conducted by the Center for Research in Family Practice and Primary Care, with support from the AAFP. The study demonstrates the complexities of the patient visit, the demands of real-world practice and the value of primary care, issues that policymakers, the public and even clinicians have not fully understood. Researchers used a multi-method approach, including direct observation, to study 4,454 patient visits to 138 family physicians in 84 practice sites.
- "Does Health Habit Advice Affect Patient Satisfaction?" Gotler RS, Barzilai DA, Kikano GE, Stange KC. May 2002:65.
- "Race and Preventive Services Delivery." Gotler RS, Williams RL, Flocke SA, Kikano GE, Stange KC. January 2002:46.
- "Involving Patients in Medical Decisions: What Happens in Real-World Practice?" Gotler RS, Kikano GE, Stange KC. September 2001:50-51.
- "Focus on the Family, Part II: Does a Family Focus Affect Patient Outcomes?" Gotler RS, Medalie JH, Zyzanski SJ, et al. April 2001:45-46.
- "Focus on the Family, Part I: What Is Your Family Focus Style?" Gotler RS, Medalie JH, Zyzanski SJ, et al. March 2001:49-50.
- "'My Insurance Changed': The Negative Effects of Forced Discontinuity of Care." Kikano G, Flocke S, Gotler R, et al. November/December 2000:44-45.
- "High-Volume Practice: Are There Trade-Offs?" Kikano G, Zyzanski S, Gotler R, et al. July/August 2000:63.
- "How Emotional Distress Shapes the Patient View." Kikano G, Callahan E, Gotler R, et al. April 2000:47.
- "Are You Practicing 'Opportunistic' Prevention?" Kikano G, Flocke S, Gotler R, et al. March 2000:56.
- "The Value of Brief, Targeted Smoking-Cessation Advice." Kikano G, Jaén C, Gotler R, et al. January 2000:50.
- "Identifying Patterns of Over- and Undercoding," Kikano G, Chao J, Gotler R, et al. November/December 1999:12-13.
- "Practical Ways to Improve Patient Satisfaction With Visit Length." Kikano G, Gross D, Stange K. September 1999:52.