The American Academy of Family Physicians has partnered with the Copyright Clearance Center to provide a web-based permission service. If you would like to reuse material from American Family Physician and Family Practice Management for nonprofit educational classroom use, follow the custom link to obtain permission to reuse copyrighted materials.
Please note that HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS, HMOs education firms, advertising agencies, and pharmaceutical companies must purchase bulk reprints. Those may be done by contacting our reprints representative, Beth Ann Rocheleau, or fax your request to 803-753-9430.
If you would like to reproduce, reprint, or adapt material from AFP or FPM for other purposes (apart from photocopying patient information handouts for nonprofit educational purposes), you must seek permission from the AAFP. Submit your permission request to Mindy Cleary via fax (913-906-6068) or e-mail (email@example.com).
Information Required on All Permission Requests
You must include the following information in all requests.
About the material you would like to use:
- Title of article/piece you want to use
- Name of author of material
- Name of publication
- Identify content (for example, do you want to use the entire article, only a table/figure, an illustration); provide a sample if possible
About your proposed use:
- Title of your publication, program or product
- Name of publisher or sponsor
- Type/format of publication in which the AAFP content will appear (e.g., newsletter, book, periodical, CD-ROM, website)
- Estimated number of copies to be printed or produced
- Whether the copies will be sold or free
Additional information to include:
- Detailed contact information for requestor that includes name, address, phone number, and email address of contact
Please note: Responses to permission requests usually take 14 to 21 business days from the time a request is received. Response times may be longer during periods of high volume. Incomplete requests will be returned and will not be processed. All rushed requests warrant a $50 rush fee to be submitted with the initial permission request. Responses to rush requests will be within seven (7) business days from the day of receipt.
Fees and Payments
A permission fee is charged when material is to be used in another form of a publication (e.g., newsletter, textbook, manual, journal/magazine, etc.) The fee depends on the amount of content being reprinted. Payment should be made in U.S. currency and must be received before permission is granted.