Webcast: The Science of Personal Finance for Med Students
Helping you manage your money and debt
View the Webcast
Think USMLE exams and personal finance have nothing to do with each other? Think again.
Join the American Academy of Family Physicians and the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)(www.aamc.org) to learn how medical science and personal finance share core lessons.
Learn how to manage A1C levels and your credit! Understand the time value of money so you will be ready to make financial decisions now, instead of when it's too late.
Hear real-world examples, including that of Dr. Michael Lovelace, a family medicine resident with an MBA who has become an expert on managing student debt.
About this collaboration
As advocates for affordable medical education, the AAMC has developed a number of money management tools for students. These resources are aimed at helping all future physicians get the most out of their significant investment in medical school. Although the cost of this education is high, you can feel confident about your decision to pursue a career in medicine. The AAMC’s perspective as experts in paying for medical school complements the AAFP’s message about the immeasurable rewards of caring for patients as a family physician.
View the Webcast
At the conclusion of the webcast, participants will be able to:
- Make informed decisions about credit
- Understand the time value of money
- Develop a financial plan for medical school and residency
Senior Education Debt Management Specialist
Michael Lovelace, MD, MBA
University of Louisville School of Medicine Class of 2017
Family Medicine Resident, Palmetto Health
Money and Debt Management Resources—AAFP
- Debt Management Strategies for Medical Education
- AAFP Policy: Medical Student Debt
- Advocacy and Medical Student Debt
Money and Debt Management Resources—AAMC
- AAMC FIRST (Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools)(aamc.org)
- 10 Tips for Managing Your Money During Medical School(members.aamc.org)
- Budgeting to Pay For Medical School(students-residents.aamc.org)
- AAMC MedLoans® Organizer and Calculator (MLOC)(students-residents.aamc.org)
- Education Debt Manager(members.aamc.org)
- Postponing Loan Repayment During Residency(students-residents.aamc.org)
- Loan Repayment Options(students-residents.aamc.org)
- Repayment Assistance Through Forgiveness, Scholarships, or Service(students-residents.aamc.org)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)(students-residents.aamc.org)
- 10 Tips for Managing Your Money During Residency(members.aamc.org)