Chief Resident Leadership Development Program
Strong Leaders Start Here
Give your chief residents the resources they need through the AAFP’s Chief Resident Leadership Development Program—the only national program of its kind dedicated exclusively to family medicine chief residents.
During this yearlong, interactive program, chief residents benefit from:
- An in-depth spring workshop covering leadership skills and competencies essential to performing well in their role.
- A specialized fall workshop held in conjunction with the AAFP Family Medicine Experience, including new resources as well as valuable peer and family medicine expert connections.
- Ongoing support and encouragement through a coaching plan, monthly newsletters, tools and worksheets, and an online chief resident listserv community.
2019 Spring Kick-off Workshop
Choose from two sessions held in Kansas City, MO:
May 16-18, 2019 [SOLD OUT] or May 18-20, 2019.
Plan to register your chief residents for this interactive workshop. Participants set specific goals for the year and build a leadership toolkit. Space is limited; early registration is recommended.
Intercontinental Kansas City at the Plaza
401 Ward Parkway
Kansas City, MO 64112
Schedule Information for Flights and Hotel
Session 1: Registration begins at 2:00 pm on May 16, and the workshop begins at 3:00 pm. We will finish at 10:45 am on May 18.
Session 2: Registration begins at 2:00 pm on May 18, and the workshop begins at 3:00 pm. We will finish at 10:45 am on May 20.
Reservations made on or before April 15, 2019, will receive the group rate of $159 per night + taxes (space permitting). To book your room online, click the button below, click "book now" on the new page, then enter your dates and click on "search." The next page will display the group rate.
When making reservations by phone, reference group name: Chief Resident Leadership.
This luxury hotel is located n the heart of Kansas City's history Country Club Plaza(www.countryclubplaza.com), renowned for its numerous fountains, Seville-insprired architecture, and more than 15 blocks of exclusive boutique shopping and fine dining.
Also Included in the Program
September 24-28, 2019
Chief residents regroup and recharge at the fall workshop to further enhance their ability to help lead a residency program. Held during the AAFP Family Medicine Experience —the family medicine event of the year—chief residents receive valuable resources and connect with family medicine experts. (Conference registration included in Chief Resident Leadership Development Program fee.)
YEAR-LONG LEARNING COMMUNITY
In addition to the on-site opportunities, your chief resident will receive access to supportive resources throughout the year, including:
- A program to facilitate working with a coach for support and encouragement
- Worksheets for goal-setting and self-evaluation
- Monthly newsletters for chief residents and coaches
- Online chief resident community to connect with peers
- Why Are You a Chief Resident
- Team Building
- Professional Development of Self
- Leadership Competencies
- Leading Change
- The Art of Principled Negotiation
- Consultation for Success (optional)
- Professional Development of Others
- Ensuring Success
2019 Chief Resident Leadership Development Program Agenda
Mark H. Greenawald, MD
Vice Chair for Academic Affairs and Professional Development, Carilion Clinic Department of Family and Community Medicine; Associate Professor of Family Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, Roanoke, VA.
Stacy Potts, MD, MEd
Program Director and Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts Worcester Family Medicine, Worcester, MA.
Jeri Hepworth, PhD
Director of Medical Education and Designated Institutional Official, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center; Assistant Dean for Education at Saint Francis for the University of Connecticut, Hartford, CT.
Jason M. Valadão, MD, MA
Chief Resident, Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton Family Medicine Residency Program, Camp Pendleton, CA