Chief Resident Leadership Development Program
Chief Resident Leadership Development Program | May 14–18 | Canceled
After careful consideration of information from the CDC and our experts, the AAFP has determined that it is necessary to cancel the Chief Resident Leadership Development Program that was scheduled for May 14-18.
We know that you were looking forward to the Chief Resident Leadership Development Program as an opportunity to personally engage with new information and renew professional relationships, and the decision to cancel isn’t one we took lightly. Here is why we decided to cancel the in-person event:
· We recognize that many of you are working on the frontlines of the COVID-19 outbreak and that you need to remain in your community to serve patients.
· Within the health care industry, it is important that we lead by example through social distancing and not contribute to further spread of the virus.
In an effort to make things simpler for you, we will issue automatic, full refunds to all participants within the next 30 days. We will provide further communication on the Chief Resident Fall Workshop at FMX in the near future.
If you reserved a hotel room, please contact the hotel directly to cancel your reservation.
Thank you for all you do to support family medicine.
Strong Leaders Start Here
Give your chief residents the resources they need through the AAFP’s Chief Resident Leadership Development Program—the only national program of its kind dedicated exclusively to family medicine chief residents.
During this yearlong, interactive program, chief residents benefit from:
- An in-depth spring workshop covering leadership skills and competencies essential to performing well in their role.
- A specialized fall workshop held in conjunction with the AAFP Family Medicine Experience, including new resources as well as valuable peer and family medicine expert connections.
- Ongoing support and encouragement through a coaching plan, monthly newsletters, tools and worksheets, and an online chief resident listserv community.
Intercontinental Kansas City at the Plaza
401 Ward Parkway
Kansas City, MO 64112
Also Included in the Program
October 13-17, 2020
Chief residents regroup and recharge at the fall workshop to further enhance their ability to help lead a residency program. Held during the AAFP Family Medicine Experience —the family medicine event of the year—chief residents receive valuable resources and connect with family medicine experts. (Conference registration included in Chief Resident Leadership Development Program fee.)
YEAR-LONG LEARNING COMMUNITY
In addition to the on-site opportunities, your chief resident will receive access to supportive resources throughout the year, including:
- A program to facilitate working with a coach for support and encouragement
- Worksheets for goal-setting and self-evaluation
- Monthly newsletters for chief residents and coaches
- Online chief resident community to connect with peers
- Why Are You a Chief Resident
- Team Building
- Professional Development of Self
- Leadership Competencies
- Leading Change
- The Art of Principled Negotiation
- Consultation for Success (optional)
- Professional Development of Others
- Ensuring Success
Mark H. Greenawald, MD
Vice Chair for Academic Affairs and Professional Development, Carilion Clinic Department of Family and Community Medicine; Associate Professor of Family Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, Roanoke, VA.
Stacy Potts, MD, MEd
Program Director and Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts Worcester Family Medicine, Worcester, MA.
Jeri Hepworth, PhD
Director of Medical Education and Designated Institutional Official, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center; Assistant Dean for Education at Saint Francis for the University of Connecticut, Hartford, CT.