Resident Representative to the AAFP Center for Global Health Initiatives (CGHI)
The application cycle for this position is currently closed. Please check back in spring 2021 for more information on the next application cycle. Residents who may be interested in this role should review position information and travel requirements below.
Help plan the AAFP Global Health Summit, take the lead in preparing and facilitating the Global Health Networking Meeting at the National Conference, and participate in Polaris-related activities. Receive mentoring from established leaders in global health.
Polaris is WONCA North America's Young Physicians Movement that includes medical students, residents and new physicians.
- Represent the resident perspective as a member of the AAFP Center for Global Health Initiatives Advisory Board
- Participate in the program development of the annual AAFP Global Health Summit
- Coordinate resident activities, if any, during the Global Health Summit
- Facilitate/moderate the Global Health Networking meeting at the AAFP National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
- Disseminate global health-related messages via appropriate social media channels
- Provide input to global health-related communications
- Be a US and AAFP resident representative on the Polaris Executive Committee
- Communicate regularly with the AAFP resident and new physician representatives to the Polaris Executive and AAFP staff, WONCA Polaris Executive from Canada and Caribbean
- Provide an annual report to the AAFP to be submitted to the AAFP CGHI. This report will be used to inform the AAFP Board of Directors of Polaris activities
- Participate and contribute in the Polaris Executive strategic planning process and implementation
- Must be PGY1 or PGY2
- Demonstrate interest and involvement in global health
- Must have residency director’s endorsement for time away from residency to attend meetings
Time commitment away from residency: Approximately 10-15 days including weekends and one hour per month for conference calls
Funding: Provided for CGHI Advisory Board Interim meeting attendance, Global Health Summit attendance, and one face-to-face WONCA or Polaris meeting
Note: The resident member of the CGHII Advisory Board can only serve on the Board once. He or she is not eligible for re-election.
Application details: Required elements of the application include: Letter of Interest; Letter of Chapter Support; Letter of Support from Program Director; and a Photo. Letters and forms can be uploaded or requested through the online application system. All materials must be received by the AAFP by the stated application deadline. For detailed information on application materials, visit the How to Apply page. Once you're ready to begin your application, click the Apply Now button on the sidebar of this page. The application system allows users to save and return to their application before submitting it. Please note: it is important to connect with your local AFP chapter as soon as possible to express your interest in this position.
|MEETING : AAFP Global Health Summit||DATES : TBD||LOCATION : Location rotates|
|MEETING : CGHI Advisory Board Interim Meeting||DATES : TBD||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING : Polaris Executive meeting (held in North America, or during WONCA World meeting)||DATES : TBD||LOCATION : Location rotates|
|MEETING : National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Students||DATES : July-August||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|