Resident Delegate to the AAFP Congress of Delegates
NOTE: Applications for this position are closed. This page will be updated when applications reopen for the next leadership cycle. See below for details on this role, as well as the current travel calendar associated with serving in this position.
Experience Congress of Delegates and learn the governance process of the AAFP in this national resident leadership position.
Applicants are elected as alternate delegates and serve as alternate delegates to this year's AAFP Congress of Delegates, alongside the current delegates. Following the meeting, those elected serve as delegates through next year's Congress of Delegates.
- Represents resident member interests, as voted on by the National Congress of Medical Students, at the AAFP Congress of Delegates by following resolutions and issues pertinent to family medicine residents
- Functions as a member of the AAFP Commission on Education (COE)
- Keeps lines of communication open with resident members to facilitate dialogue on issues important to residents
- Provides assistance to the Resident Chair of National Conference in coordination of resident activities
- Demonstrated interest and involvement in family medicine groups or state organizations as a student or resident
- Does not need previous experience in a national AAFP leadership position
- Must have residency director's endorsement that time away from residency will be granted to attend meetings
Time commitment away from residency: Approximately 10-15 days (includes weekends) for travel and attendance at meetings
Funding: Travel covered according to AAFP Travel Policy. A per diem covers expenses to travel to and attend the meeting, including lodging and food.
Application details: Required elements of the application include: Letter of Interest; Letter of Chapter Support; Letter of Support from Program Director. Letters and forms can be uploaded or requested through the online application system. For detailed information on application materials, visit the How to Apply page. Once you're ready to begin your application, click the Apply Now button on the sidebar of this page. The application system allows users to save and return to their application before submitting it. Please note: it is important to connect with your local AFP chapter as soon as possible to express your interest in this position.
|MEETING : Congress of Delegates||DATES : September 22-25, 2019||LOCATION : Philadelphia, PA|
|MEETING : Winter Cluster||DATES : February 7-9, 2020||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING : Summer Cluster||DATES : May 29-31, 2020||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING : National Conference||DATES : July 30-August 1, 2020||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING : Congress of Delegates||DATES : October 8-12, 2020||LOCATION : Chicago, IL|