AAFP Board of Directors: Student Member
NOTE: Applications for this position are closed. This page will be updated when applications reopen for the next leadership cycle. See below for details on this role, as well as the current travel calendar associated with serving in this position.
Bring a student perspective to high-level decision-making discussions of the AAFP Board of Directors. This opportunity includes social media and public relations training, as well as unique mentoring opportunities with established leaders in family medicine.
Read the full position description for AAFP Director(228 KB PDF) for detailed information on qualifications, time commitment, and responsibilities associated with this role.
- Bring the student perspective to all AAFP Board deliberations
- Help orient other student officers to the AAFP governance and policy
- Communicate issues of importance to the appropriate AAFP commissions
- Coordinate the discussions of the student delegation at the AAFP Congress of Delegates
- Attend all AAFP Board of Directors meetings as a voting member
- Attend all Commission on Education (COE) Subcommittee on Resident and Student Issues (SRSI) meetings (voting member)
- Attend meetings of a Commission for which you serve as a Board Liaison according to AAFP Board policy. (Students may serve as a liaison to any Commission other than the Commission on Finance and Insurance.)
- Attend National Conference the year following election, including facilitating the candidates’ forum
- Attend two Congress of Delegates and AAFP FMX meetings
- Attend the National Conference of Constituent Leaders/Annual Chapter Leader Forum (NCCL/ACLF)
- Attend other meetings as directed by the Board Chair
- Entering final year of medical school at time of election
- At least one year of national level experience in AAFP leadership (National Conference Chair, National Delegate, National FMIG Coordinator, AAFP commission member, or representative to Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) or AAFP Foundation Board of Trustees)
- Must be in good academic standing at medical school
Time commitment away from medical school: Approximately 45-50 days (includes weekends) for travel and attendance at meetings
Funding: Provided for meeting attendance according to AAFP Board of Director reimbursement policies beginning the Wednesday of the first COD/FMX you attend. Once in effect, reimbursement policies cover all days required to travel for Board business.
Application details: Required elements of the application include: Letter of Interest; Letter of Chapter Support; Faculty Letter; Participation Form(280 KB PDF) (to be signed by dean of medical school). Letters and forms can be uploaded or requested through the online application system. For detailed information on application materials, visit the How to Apply page. Once you're ready to begin your application, click the Apply Now button on the sidebar of this page. The application system allows users to save and return to their application before submitting it. Please note: it is important to connect with your local AFP chapter as soon as possible to express your interest in this position.
Note: The student member of the Board will not be eligible to later serve on the AAFP Board as resident or new physician representative.
|MEETING: Congress of Delegates, FMX||DATES: September 22-27, 2019||LOCATION: Philadelphia, PA|
|MEETING: AAFP Board of Directors||DATES: December 10-14, 2019||LOCATION: Leawood, KS|
|MEETING: Winter Cluster||DATES: February 7-9, 2020||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: AAFP Board of Directors||DATES: February 25-28, 2020||LOCATION: Washington, DC|
|MEETING: AAFP Board of Directors, NCCL/ACLF||DATES: April 20-25, 2020||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: Summer Cluster||DATES: May 29-31, 2020||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: AAFP Board of Directors||DATES: July 13-18, 2020||LOCATION: Kohler, WI|
|MEETING: National Conference||DATES: July 30-August 2, 2020||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: Congress of Delegates, FMX||DATES: October 8-17, 2020||LOCATION: Chicago, IL|