Student Liaison to the Student National Medical Association
NOTE: Applications are now being accepted for the 2019 term. For information on the amount of travel associated with this position, check out the meeting calendar below.
In 2003, the AAFP Board of Directors approved the creation of a student liaison to the Student National Medical Association (SNMA). Established in 1964 by Howard University College of Medicine students and Meharry Medical College students, the SNMA is the nation’s oldest and largest organization focused on the needs and concerns of medical students of color. SNMA is committed to assuring that students of color are encouraged to consider and prepare for medical and scientific careers.
SNMA programs and activities are implemented by local chapters based at allopathic and osteopathic medical schools throughout the country. These programs are designed to:
- Serve the health needs of underrepresented communities
- Assure that medical services are sensitive to the needs of culturally diverse populations
- Disseminate information through SNMA regional directors about relevant AAFP activities
- Provide quarterly reports to SNMA’s External Affairs Committee on AAFP activities of interest to students
- Attend the FMIG Network Student Leader Orientation
- Give an annual report during the National Congress of Student Members during AAFP’s National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
- Participate in monthly conference calls with FMIG Network student leaders
- Medical student at an LCME or AOA accredited medical school
- Member of the AAFP
- Member of the SNMA
- Interested in promoting family medicine in medical schools through SNMA and FMIG activities
- Able to attend the AAFP National Conference and the SNMA Annual Medical Education Conference
Time commitment away from medical school: Approximately 12-14 days (includes weekends) for travel and attendance at meetings
Funding: The AAFP will provide funding to attend the annual SNMA meeting and AAFP's National Conference according to AAFP policy.
|MEETING : FMIG Network Student Leader Orientation||DATES : January 2019||LOCATION : Leawood, KS|
|MEETING : SNMA Annual Medical Education Conference||DATES : April 17-21, 2019||LOCATION : Philadelphia, PA|
|MEETING : National Conference||DATES : July 25-27, 2019||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|