Become a New Physician Member of the AAFP
Join as an Active Member
Term of Membership
National AAFP Dues
$445.00 annual dues (January 1 through December 31).
If applying after July 1, annual dues are pro-rated 50%.
Vary by Chapter
Do More with the AAFP.
Residency is over, but your dream job is just getting started.
Let the AAFP help you do more through every stage of your career.
When you join, you’ll get resources and tools to:
- Build and sustain your practice
- Support patient care strategies
- Connect with like-minded peers
- Strengthen family medicine at the legislative level
- Advance your career and the specialty of family medicine
- And much more
"What I love most about the AAFP is the amazing degree of advocacy in Washington DC. I never realized someone was out there fighting for the little guy (the family physician)."
— Kelley Withy, MD, Hawaii
- Physicians training in ACGME-accredited three-year FP residencies.
- Physicians training in AOA-approved rotating general or FP internships and AOA-approved general or FP residencies.
- Graduates of ACGME or AOA FP residencies immediately extending training or entering fellowships.
Continuing Study Requirements
- May vote and have floor at Congress of Delegates. May hold constituent chapter office and national committee appointments.
General Membership Information
- Applications are approved at the national level, subject to AAFP Bylaws.
- National headquarters completes enrollment. Transfers from one classification to another must be approved by the chapter.
- If all membership requirements are met, membership is continued on an annual basis, unless notification is received from the member.
ABOUT CHAPTER MEMBERSHIP
AAFP membership is unified, which means that members are required to belong to the national AAFP and to their appropriate chapter. The AAFP has a chapter for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Uniformed Services, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Members are also required to belong to a local chapter, if one exists in their area.
Chapter membership makes it convenient for AAFP members to access relevant information and focused resources right where they live and work. Chapters offer local and regional opportunities to network, mentor, volunteer, take a leadership role, and get involved in the AAFP.
If applicant has not held Active membership within the last two years, CME credits are not required. If the applicant has held Active membership within the last two years, the applicant must provide evidence of 100 approved CME credits completed during the two years immediately preceding application.
Continuing Study Requirements
Active members with a CME requirement must accrue and report, within each re-election term, a minimum of 150 credits of approved CME of which at least 75 credits must be AAFP prescribed credit and 25 credits must be live activities.
DEFINITION OF "APPROVED CME"
In interpreting the "postgraduate study of a nature acceptable to the AAFP Commission on Continuing Professional Development," the general rule is that all AAFP-approved courses are acceptable. Contact with the individual's chapter is recommended to determine whether an applicant's hours are acceptable for membership, re-election, or transfer to another membership classification.