Member Re-election Cycles
Due to the impact of COVID-19, immediate changes to CME requirements and member dues have been put in place. We hope this gives you one less thing to worry about as you continue to focus on your patients.
- Active members are required to report 150 credits of CME every three calendar years as a condition of continued membership. This is called a re-election cycle.
- For those members in their first re-election cycle, the cycle is four years: the year they became Active and the next three full calendar years.
- In order to be eligible for re-election, members must earn the required CME credits within the re-election cycle.
- Once members have met the CME requirement, they are “re-elected” to AAFP membership. If re-election requirements are not met, membership is canceled.
- Check your re-election status online.
- If you have any questions, call the Member Resource Center at (800) 274-2237.
The credits must be recorded in the year in which they were completed.
This could be for any of five reasons:
- You have not reported the minimum requirement of 75 Prescribed credits.
- You have not reported the minimum requirement of 25 credits of Live activities.
- It is possible you have exceeded the maximum limits of:
- Professional enrichment (limited to 25 credits during a three-year re-election cycle)
- Teaching health professions (limited to 60 AAFP Prescibed credits during a three-year re-election cycle)
- Advanced training (limited to 25 credits during a three-year re-election cycle)
- ABFM or AOA Certification (limited to 25 credits during a three-year re-election cycle)
- Scholorly Activites (limited to 100 credits during a three-year re-election cycle)
- You have not reported the minimum credits required by your chapter (check with your chapter for more information).
- The 150 credits are not within your re-election cycle.
The Bylaws do not allow for an extension to earn CME credit.
If you are concerned that you may not have the CME requirements, contact us at (800) 274-2237 or at email@example.com. We can assist you in getting your CME recorded. In many cases, after speaking with one of our Member Resource Center specialists, our members find they have more CME than they thought.
Yes. CME must be earned by December 31 of the year your re-election cycle ends.
Evidence-based CME is not a requirement of membership.
Types of CME Credit
Learn about and view examples of the various types of CME credit.
Obtain and Report CME Credit
Learn how to report CME credit and find troublehooting help for CME reporting problems.
Your CME Report
Learn how to obtain a report on CME credits earned, and how to utilize this information to manage your learning requirements.
Reporting to Other Organizations
Learn about reporting CME credit to organizations other than the AAFP.
- Exhibiting Opportunities