How to Apply for Leadership Opportunities
Learn Why Your Leadership Matters
Member Leadership Positions
Use your expertise and passion to strengthen the specialty of family medicine by applying for a leadership position with the AAFP. Member positions are available on:
- The Congress of Delegates,
AAFP's policy-making body. Delegates are elected by their chapters.
- The Board of Directors
Delegates are elected by the Congress of Delegates, nominated by chapters.
- AAFP Commissions
Members are appointed by the board to discuss current issues or new ideas.
Student and Resident Positions
The AAFP highly values the contributions made by family medicine residents and medical students and recognizes the importance of training future leaders of medicine. It is one of the few specialty organizations to actively enlist resident and student members in leadership roles.
Among other things, you have the opportunity to:
- Network with family physicians from across the country.
- Attend national meetings funded by the AAFP, such as the National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students.
- Participate in the discussion of issues key to health care delivery and to family medicine.
- Learn more about topics of special interest.
- Cultivate organizational and communication skills.
- Spend time with other resident and student leaders who share common interests and concerns.