October 01, 2013 01:22 pm San Diego — During a typical office visit, family physicians have no more than 15 minutes to evaluate and talk with patients, but they actually may have even less time than they realize to get their messages across. That's because the average attention span of most patients, which used to be close to 20 minutes, has dwindled to nine seconds, or roughly the same attention span as that of a goldfish, according to Sally Hogshead, the speaker at a Sept. 27 general session at the AAFP's 2013 Scientific Assembly in San Diego.Full Story »
News From 2013 Annual Assembly
Recent 2013 Annual Assembly Stories
10/01/2013 — The 2013 Congress of Delegates went to bat for the future of family medicine Sept. 24, adopting one resolution intended to help bolster the primary care workforce by shoring up the physician pipeline and calling for further study of another. A third measure seeking to survey family medicine residents about their medical school experience also was adopted.
09/27/2013 — Family physicians are helping transform an uncooperative health care system into a patient-centered care delivery model that really works. But helping is not enough. It's time to start leading. That was the message delivered Sept 26 during the "Panel Session: Real Answers" at the AAFP Scientific Assembly in San Diego.
09/27/2013 — When family physicians at a hospital-owned clinic in Malden, Mass., found out they were being paid far less than their internal medicine colleagues, they weren't happy. In fact, three out of 16 quit. Not, however, Patricia Sereno, M.D., of Stoneham, Mass. She wanted answers … and change.
More 2013 Annual Assembly Stories
- 09/27/2013 — Delegates Debate Membership Issues
- 09/27/2013 — 2014 FPOY Focuses on Access, Patient-Centered Care
- 09/26/2013 — Blackwelder Expands on Importance of Family Physicians
- 09/26/2013 — Know, Live Your Purpose, Says Assembly Keynote Speaker
- 09/26/2013 — AAFP Delegates Debate Energy Drinks, Medical Marijuana
- 09/25/2013 — New AAFP Leaders Announced at Congress of Delegates
- 09/25/2013 — Delegates Focus on Needs of Older, Rural Physicians
- 09/24/2013 — Defining Scope of Practice Discussed at AAFP Town Hall