About AAFP News
Opinions expressed in AAFP News do not necessarily reflect the policies of the AAFP.
Address comments to:
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211-2672
fax: (913) 906-6089
phone: (800) 274-2237, Ext. 5225
AAFP News, launched in April 2005 as AAFP News Now, is the official news publication of the American Academy of Family Physicians. The two previous AAFP news publications, FP Report and AAFP Direct, ceased publication the month before AAFP News Now launched. At that time, some news coverage from those discontinued publications was "migrated" to AAFP News Now online.
AAFP News is first and foremost an online publication, with news stories posted continually. Each week, members with email addresses on file with the AAFP receive an email with links to top AAFP News online stories.
Staff in the Academy's News Department, with assistance from the Design Department.
As the family physician's trusted, credible source for news about the specialty and the larger world of medicine, AAFP News delivers news and information to AAFP members that is accurate, timely, and consistent with the Academy's strategic mission areas and that demonstrates the value of membership. AAFP News content will fit within the broader context of AAFP communications and will invite dialogue to stimulate members' engagement with their Academy.
Managing Editor - Online
Social Media/Commentary Editor
Senior Online Editor
Washington Online Correspondent
Chris Crawford, M.B.A.
To comment on AAFP News stories, post a comment at the bottom of individual stories. Or, send a letter to the editor to email@example.com. We'd love to hear from you!
- As much as possible, please try to focus your posts on the topic of the AAFP News story under discussion.
- If you have a question for an individual quoted in a story, you should email that individual directly. Be advised that AAFP leaders do not monitor AAFP News story comments. If you want your question or comment to go to leaders, you should email them directly, or you can email the editor of AAFP News.
- You are fully responsible for the content you post. Don't post content that violates the copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party. The administrator may remove any posting you have made if you violate this provision.
- Advertising or promoting of products and services is expressly prohibited in the comments field. Actions in violation of this rule will result in removal of the comment.
- If you are giving your opinion on a product or service mentioned in an AAFP News story, please make a statement about any actual or perceived conflicts of interest you may have.
- Please do not type in all-capital letters. This is considered the equivalent of shouting. (However, using all-capital letters for one or two words denoting emphasis is fine.)
- Please treat other members with respect.
- You acknowledge and agree that you use and/or rely on any information obtained through the comments field at your own risk. AAFP does not in any manner endorse the content of the comments field and cannot and will not vouch for its reliability.
- When you post content, you grant AAFP the right to use it. Specifically, you give AAFP the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part, world-wide, and to incorporate it in other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.
I already use a news reader. How do I add AAFP News to it?
You can add AAFP News top stories to your news reader (also called an RSS reader, feed reader or feed aggregator) by clicking the orange RSS icon on the left. Depending on your browser version, when you click the icon, you'll see either a page of unstyled code or a list of recent AAFP News articles.If you see the unstyled code, just ignore it. Copy the URL from the address bar and paste it into your news reader. If you see the list of articles, choose which application you'd like to use to subscribe from the pull-down menu at the top of the page, and click "Subscribe Now."
The latest versions of modern Web browsers are capable of displaying RSS without the need for additional software.
I don't use a news reader yet. How do I get started?
To see a list of free Web-based and downloadable news readers, perform a Web search for "RSS reader." If you choose to download one, be sure to pick one that is compatible with your computer’s operating system (e.g., Windows, Mac, Linux).
Because all news readers are different, it's important to look at the instructions for adding feeds to your specific news reader. Typically, you can add AAFP News to your news reader simply by clicking the orange RSS icon wherever you see it displayed on an AAFP News page. When you do, you'll see a page of unstyled code -- the "instructions" for your news reader. Just ignore that page of code, copy the URL from the navigation bar, and paste it into your news reader.
Does AAFP News offer other RSS feeds?
Yes, in addition to the top headlines, you can choose from feeds on practice management, resident and student issues, opinion pieces and more. To see the full list, go to About RSS and scroll to the bottom of the page.
Visit the AAFP News widget instructions page to learn how to add the widget to your web page.