As the baby boomers age, family physicians are dealing with a lot more issues linked to caring for elderly patients. Numerous resources are available for the elderly and their caregivers, but these resources can be difficult to find. The AAFP offers many resources on caring for these patients, along with extensive patient education materials, which we are listing in this toolbox. We also have included a selection of other patient and physician resources available via the Internet.
AAFP clinical care resources include
- American Family Physician: AFP by Topic: Geriatric Care (Some content available only to members/paid subscribers)
- Geriatric Medicine
Academy policy resources include
Practice management resources for FPs include
- Family Practice Management: "Medicare Annual Wellness Visits Made Easier"
- Family Practice Management: "A Nursing Home Documentation Tool for More Efficient Visits"
- Family Practice Management: "Health Coaching for Patients With Chronic Illness"
- Family Practice Management's Getting Paid blog: "How to Conduct a 'Welcome to Medicare' Visit"
Resources for patients from the AAFP include
Other resources available online include
- Administration on Aging(www.aoa.gov)
- Alzheimer's Association(www.alz.org)
- The American Geriatrics Society(www.americangeriatrics.org)
- Family Caregiver Alliance(www.caregiver.org)
- HHS Eldercare Locator(www.eldercare.gov)
- National Family Caregivers Association(www.nfcacares.org)
- National Institute on Aging(www.nia.nih.gov)