November 30, 2014 08:34 pm — It's not easy to grab the attention of medical students, but a program created by the family medicine interest group (FMIG) at Mayo Medical School in Rochester, Minn. -- and supported by the Minnesota AFP -- is helping busy students connect with family physicians in a time-efficient manner.Full Story »
Although AAFP News regularly covers developments that affect family physicians on the national level, many of those developments originate in the various AAFP constituent chapters. The Chapter Spotlight series is designed as an opportunity to look at chapters, their members and the innovative ideas being promulgated at the chapter level. Many chapters, their members and their communities struggle with the same problems, and this series allows these stories to be told so other AAFP members can learn from their lessons.
Recent Chapter Spotlight Stories
10/31/2014 — Each September, first-year students at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine in Oklahoma City are invited to a welcome luncheon organized by the school's Family and Community Medicine Interest Group. The welcome lunch and subsequent monthly luncheons help dispel common myths about family medicine and enable students to explore what it's like to be a family doctor.
09/30/2014 — Thanks to an innovative program that links subspecialists with primary care professionals, a growing number of New Mexico patients are receiving subspecialty care directly from their family physicians.
08/31/2014 — Given active promotion of e-cigarettes in Utah combined with growing use of the products among teenagers, the Utah AFP is aggressively lobbying to ensure e-cigarettes are regulated by the state.
More Chapter Spotlight News
- 07/31/2014 — Smaller Chapters Face Unique Challenges
- 06/30/2014 — Wisconsin AFP Leads Effort to Bolster State's Primary Care Workforce
- 05/31/2014 — For Massachusetts AFP, Advocacy Is Major Focus
- 04/30/2014 — South Dakota AFP Focuses on Student Pipeline Programs
- 03/31/2014 — Delaware AFP Wholeheartedly Supports State's Million Hearts Initiative
- 02/28/2014 — Michigan AFP Joins Grassroots Efforts to Expand Medicaid
- 01/29/2014 — Tennessee AFP Taps Into Student, Resident Energy
- 12/31/2013 — West Virginia AFP Doc for a Day Program Helps Lawmakers, FPs
- 11/30/2013 — Nebraska FPs Betting on Success With Their Own ACO
- 10/31/2013 — Montana AFP Nurtures Rural Residency Program
- 09/25/2013 — Maine Program Helps FPs Serve Mental Health Needs