Meeting the Challenge, Answering the Call
COVID-19 Pandemic: News and Views
Working for You so You Can Focus on Your Patients
The AAFP is working tirelessly to bring you news and information about clinical and practice issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as about the Academy's advocacy to get you the supplies, equipment and financial support you need to care for patients while protecting yourselves, your families and staff, and your communities.
06/04/2020 — Upping the Federal Medical Assistance Percentage for Medicaid is a vital response to COVID-19, the Academy and 18 other groups told congressional letters in a June 2 letter.
06/04/2020 — New recommendations aim to ensure a successful 2021 family medicine residency match process that overcomes hurdles thrown up by the pandemic.
06/04/2020 — Shyam Odeti M.D., M.S., writes that thousands of immigrant physicians are willing to help in pandemic hotspots, but visa restrictions prohibit them from doing so.
More Clinical and Advocacy News
06/01/2020 — In a May 28 letter, the Academy voiced support for legislation that would create a task force to address racial and ethnic health disparities associated with COVID-19.
05/29/2020 — Results from a series of weekly surveys from the AAFP National Research Network and the Robert Graham Center for Policy Studies in Family Medicine and Primary Care demonstrate the COVID-19 pandemic's effects on family physicians and their practices.
05/22/2020 — Funding to independent and community-based primary care practices, including Medicaid participants, must come soon, the AAFP and other groups told HHS this week.
05/21/2020 — The AAFP signaled strong support for new legislation that would revamp CMS' Medicare Accelerated and Advance Payment program for Medicare Part B.
More Blog Posts and Profiles
06/02/2020 — Ryan Neuhofel, D.O., M.P.H., explains how the pandemic has forced him to try some unconventional things, including new approaches to personal protective equipment, in the FPs on the Front Lines blog.
05/27/2020 — Kurt Bravata, M.D., writes in this FPs on the Front Lines blog post that masks and other COVID-19 precautions have changed the way he communicates with patients in his rural practice.
Older COVID-19 Content
- 05/21/2020 — Can't Come to KC? The AAFP Is Bringing Meetings to You
- 05/20/2020 — New STFM Podcast Series Shines a Light on COVID-19
- 05/19/2020 — Pandemic Shows Intern the Power of Family Medicine
- 05/18/2020 — Staying Connected With Patients Despite Barriers
- 05/18/2020 — Academy Lauds Bills Recognizing Vital Need for IMGs
- 05/15/2020 — Amazon Gives FPs Priority Access to COVID-19 Supplies
- 05/14/2020 — Summer Reading (and Listening) List for Sidelined Students
- 05/14/2020 — ACOs, Value-based Care Hang in COVID-19 Balance, AAFP Warns
- 05/13/2020 — When My City Cheers, It Lifts Up the Front Lines
- 05/11/2020 — AAFP Gives Administration Formula for Saving Primary Care
- 05/08/2020 — MMWR: COVID-19 Has Provoked Drop in Childhood Immunizations
- 05/08/2020 — For FP Moms, This Mother's Day Is About Impact on Community
- 05/07/2020 — AAFP Delivers Pointed Congressional Briefing on COVID-19
- 05/06/2020 — Let's Learn From Pandemic so All May 'Live Long and Prosper'
- 05/05/2020 — AAFP Advocacy Wins With CMS Telehealth Payment Boost
- 05/04/2020 — Holding People Sacred in Time of Loss
- 05/04/2020 — From 'Unnecessary' to Indispensable
- 04/30/2020 — AAFP Joins Call for Relief to Non-Medicare Physicians
- 04/28/2020 — COVID-19: Lessons Learned So Far
- 04/27/2020 — Death of Patient With COVID-19 Was Unlike Any Other
- 04/24/2020 — Global Group Warns COVID-19 May Hinder Measles Vaccination
- 04/23/2020 — COVID-19 Shows What Is Truly Valuable in Health Care
- 04/22/2020 — Big Medicaid Boost Is Next Priority, AAFP Tells Congress
- 04/22/2020 — The Immeasurable, Cascading Effects of Primary Care
- 04/21/2020 — AAFP Issues COVID-19 Guidance on Breastfeeding, Medications
- 04/21/2020 — Implementing Telemedicine on the Fly, on a Shoestring
- 04/20/2020 — Study: Effective Communication Key During Health Crises
- 04/20/2020 — When Quarantining at Home Puts Families at Risk
- 04/20/2020 — Family Physician, Husband Play Key Role in PPE Solution
- 04/16/2020 — AAFP to CMS: Protect CPC+ Practices From COVID-19 Losses
- 04/15/2020 — Unease During Pandemic Offers a Lesson in Understanding
- 04/14/2020 — AAFP: Congress Must Take 'Bold Steps' to Steady Primary Care
- 04/14/2020 — Telemedicine: The Good, the Bad, the Pleasantly Surprising
- 04/14/2020 — Carpe Diem: It's Time to Fix Our Broken Health Care System
- 04/13/2020 — COVID-19 Diagnosis Didn't Stop FP From Helping Patients
- 04/09/2020 — New AAFP Policy Protects Medical Learners During Pandemic
- 04/09/2020 — Academy Calls for Detailed COVID-19 Patient Data From HHS
- 04/09/2020 — Med Students Find Creative Ways to Help During Pandemic
- 04/07/2020 — Resources Help FPs Clear New Hurdles Posed by COVID-19
- 04/07/2020 — NYSAFP: Ban Tobacco/Vaping Products During COVID-19 Pandemic
- 04/07/2020 — We Are All Vulnerable: Our Strength Is in Our Communities
- 04/06/2020 — Pandemic Highlights the Need for Full-scope FPs
- 04/03/2020 — Academy Debuts Weekly COVID-19 CME Webinar Series
- 04/01/2020 — CMS Heeds AAFP's Call to Dramatically Expand Telehealth
- 03/31/2020 — Telehealth Deserves Payment; the AAFP Is Helping Secure It
- 03/31/2020 — AAFP Eases CME, Dues Deadlines so FPs Can Focus on Pandemic
- 03/31/2020 — Taking Care of Each Other in This Time of Crisis
- 03/30/2020 — FP Playing Key Role in States' Pandemic Response
- 03/30/2020 — Medicare Physicians' COVID-19 Payment Relief Is Underway
- 03/27/2020 — Annals of Family Medicine Issues Call for COVID-19 Content
- 03/24/2020 — AAFP to Host Weekly COVID-19 Virtual Town Halls
- 03/24/2020 — Private Practice in a Time of Pandemic
- 03/23/2020 — COVID-19 Stimulus Bill Must Include Physicians, AAFP Says
- 03/23/2020 — Inside Look at Using Telemedicine During COVID-19 Pandemic
- 03/20/2020 — COVID-19: FP Searches for Supplies, Information and Lessons
- 03/20/2020 — AAFP Tells Insurers to Meet Demand for Telehealth Payment
- 03/18/2020 — U.S. FP Shares COVID-19 Insights From Practice in China
- 03/17/2020 — COVID-19: The AAFP Is Working to Keep You Informed, Prepared
- 03/16/2020 — Academy Pushes for Strong Federal Response to COVID-19
- 03/11/2020 — AAFP Creates COVID-19 Member Community, Preparation Checklist
- 03/04/2020 — Coronavirus Takes Center Stage at February ACIP Meeting
- 03/02/2020 — Academy Urges HHS to Factor FPs Into COVID-19 Response
- 02/05/2020 — CDC Updates Interim Guidance for Novel Coronavirus
- 01/24/2020 — AAFP President: Prepare Your Office for Novel Coronavirus