July 16, 2019 10:27 am — New research indicates that more than one out of three cases of medical malpractice that result in death or permanent disability can be linked to inaccurate or delayed diagnosis.Full Story »
Health of the Public
Recent Health of the Public Stories
07/10/2019 — The National Academy of Medicine will host a free webinar from 3 to 4:30 p.m. EDT on July 22 to discuss best practices and evidence standards on tapering patients off opioids. NAM plans to publish a discussion paper that builds on the webinar early next year.
07/08/2019 — On June 18, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force posted a draft recommendation statement on screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm in asymptomatic patients. Men ages 65-75 who smoke or used to smoke benefit most from screening; the task force recommends one-time screening with ultrasonography in this group.
07/03/2019 — During the June 26-27 meeting of the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, the group voted to update its recommendations for use of the nine-valent HPV and 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccines.
07/02/2019 — The AAFP has joined more than 70 other organizations in signing on to the U.S. Call to Action on Climate, Health and Equity: A Policy Action Agenda. The document features 10 policy recommendations that government leaders can use to address climate change.
More Health of the Public News
- 06/29/2019 — Study Compares USPSTF, Other Lung Cancer Screening Guidance
- 06/26/2019 — AAFP Backs Breastfeeding, Lactation for Medical Trainees
- 06/25/2019 — AAFP Offers Guidance on Depression Care After ACS Events
- 06/19/2019 — USPSTF: Screen for HIV in Patients Ages 15-65
- 06/18/2019 — FPs Share Best Practices for Raising Immunization Rates
- 06/18/2019 — CDC: Prescription Opioid Misuse Linked to Binge Drinking
- 06/12/2019 — Practical Playbook II Offers Guide to Better Population Health
- 06/12/2019 — JAMA Research: Elderly Deaths From Falls Increase
- 06/11/2019 — AAFP, Other Medical Groups Update Sports Physical Guidance
- 06/07/2019 — CDC Offers Measles Outbreak Toolkit