The AAFP is about to make it easier for all 136,700 members to access the best family medicine resources for their needs from anywhere with the unveiling of a new website and mobile app on Aug. 17.
The launch of the new aafp.org and AAFP app is the Academy's first step in building a user experience that's seamless across computers and mobile devices so members can easily use the wide array of AAFP tools to serve patients, manage practices, receive CME credit, succeed in medical school and residency, and advocate for themselves and their patients.
These upgrades will bring changes to the login process for both the website and app, which is switching to use the email address on file with the AAFP as each member's default username.
Confirm that the AAFP has your preferred email address on file no later than noon CT on Aug. 13 to ensure that you'll have access to all the features as soon as they are available. To do so, visit aafp.org, click "My Account" at the top right and check the email address listed under your name. You can change that address by selecting "Edit personal info," entering your email address and clicking "Save My Account" at the bottom of the screen.
Because each member will need their own username, it's important to note that those with shared email addresses, such as generic practice addresses, will need to update their information by the Aug. 13 deadline. To change from a shared address after that date, email the AAFP Member Resource Center.
AAFP websites will be unavailable beginning at 6 p.m. CT on Aug. 13 so the upgrades can be put in place. The following Monday, Aug. 17, visitors to the new website will find
- easier access to all their AAFP needs, whether on a mobile device or a desktop;
- expandable mega-menus that allow visitors to find what they want more quickly; and
- content prioritized for different types of members -- practicing family physicians, residents and students.
The AAFP app will switch to the new version on or near Aug. 17 for those who set their mobile apps to update automatically, or it can be updated manually on the day of the launch. It will offer
- a simpler interface for a better user experience;
- everything in one place, including leading journal content from American Family Physician and FPM;
- improved audio functionality for mobile learning;
- new members-only audio content; and
- in-app purchasing for select AAFP products.