March 06, 2020 04:00 pm — Family physicians and other eligible clinicians have until March 31 to report their 2019 Merit-based Incentive Payment System data.Full Story »
MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
01/31/2020 — The reporting period for the 2019 Merit-based Incentive Payment System performance year is open until March 31, but don't wait -- CMS advises early data submission.
06/18/2019 — Check out new information available from CMS to help achieve success in the 2019 Quality Payment Program.
01/14/2019 — Eligible clinicians have until April 2 to submit data for the 2018 Merit-based Incentive Payment System performance year.
Be MACRA Ready
Find the tools you need to make the most of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act on the AAFP's dedicated resource page.
More MACRA Ready Content
- 12/05/2018 — Check Now: Your 2018 MIPS Eligibility Status May Have Changed
- 11/05/2018 — End of 2018 MIPS Program Performance Year Looms
- 09/26/2018 — CMS Extends MIPS Targeted Review Request Deadline to Oct. 15
- 08/22/2018 — Considering a Virtual Group for 2019 MIPS Participation?
- 08/01/2018 — Academy Sends MACRA Concerns, QPP Advice to Congress
- 07/11/2018 — Review 2017 MIPS Scores, Performance Feedback Reports Now
- 07/10/2018 — Demo Project Would Waive MIPS Requirements for Some Physicians
- 04/24/2018 — AAFP Joins Effort to Decrease 2018 MIPS Reporting Period
- 04/11/2018 — CMS Releases Updated 2018 MIPS Eligibility Tool
- 03/30/2018 — New Payment Model Deserves Quick Approval, AAFP Tells HHS