September 26, 2018 12:41 pm — Errors in score calculations prompted CMS to give physicians more time to request a targeted review of their Merit-based Incentive Program System 2017 performance reports.Full Story »
MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
08/22/2018 — Register now for an Aug. 27 webinar that details how to participate in CMS' 2019 Merit-based Incentive Payment System as part of a virtual group.
08/01/2018 — In a recent letter to Congress, the Academy expressed support for the overall goals of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act while outlining key strategies to improve its Quality Payment Program.
07/11/2018 — Physicians who participated in the 2017 Merit-based Incentive Payment System have until Sept. 30 to check their performance feedback and final scores, and to request a review if necessary.
07/10/2018 — CMS seeks to hasten the transition to a value-based health care system with implementation of new demonstration project for clinicians who participate in programs similar to Advanced Alternative Payment Models.
Be MACRA Ready
More MACRA Ready Content
- 04/24/2018 — AAFP Joins Effort to Decrease 2018 MIPS Reporting Period
- 04/11/2018 — CMS Releases Updated 2018 MIPS Eligibility Tool
- 03/30/2018 — New Payment Model Deserves Quick Approval, AAFP Tells HHS
- 02/21/2018 — Help Identify QPP Reporting Burdens, Get 2018 MIPS Credit
- 02/16/2018 — Action Alert: Report 2017 MIPS Performance Data by March 31
- 01/23/2018 — Value-based Payment Modifier Initiative Winds Down
- 01/10/2018 — Free 2018 MIPS Playbook Ready for Download Now
- 01/04/2018 — CMS Launches User-friendly QPP Data Submission System
- 12/21/2017 — AAFP Calls for Further Changes to QPP Interim Final Rule
- 12/19/2017 — AAFP's Alternative Payment Model Wins Testing Recommendation