June 18, 2019 04:33 pm — Check out new information available from CMS to help achieve success in the 2019 Quality Payment Program.Full Story »
MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
01/14/2019 — Eligible clinicians have until April 2 to submit data for the 2018 Merit-based Incentive Payment System performance year.
12/05/2018 — Physicians now can use a CMS tool to check their participation status for the 2018 Merit-based Incentive Payment System. Physicians also may now view their Quality Payment Program performance information before it appears on Physician Compare profile pages.
Be MACRA Ready
Find the tools you need to make the most of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act on the AAFP's dedicated resource page.
More MACRA Ready Content
- 09/26/2018 — CMS Extends MIPS Targeted Review Request Deadline to Oct. 15
- 08/22/2018 — Considering a Virtual Group for 2019 MIPS Participation?
- 08/01/2018 — Academy Sends MACRA Concerns, QPP Advice to Congress
- 07/11/2018 — Review 2017 MIPS Scores, Performance Feedback Reports Now
- 07/10/2018 — Demo Project Would Waive MIPS Requirements for Some Physicians
- 04/24/2018 — AAFP Joins Effort to Decrease 2018 MIPS Reporting Period
- 04/11/2018 — CMS Releases Updated 2018 MIPS Eligibility Tool
- 03/30/2018 — New Payment Model Deserves Quick Approval, AAFP Tells HHS
- 02/21/2018 — Help Identify QPP Reporting Burdens, Get 2018 MIPS Credit
- 02/16/2018 — Action Alert: Report 2017 MIPS Performance Data by March 31