MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
03/30/2018 — After being greenlighted by a panel of experts Congress convened last year, testing for a new payment model created by the AAFP and tailored for primary care is only awaiting federal approval, the Academy recently reminded HHS.
02/21/2018 — Join a study examining the burden of quality measure reporting and qualify for credit in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System improvement activity performance category.
02/16/2018 — Family physicians who need to submit data for the 2017 Merit-Based Incentive Payment System must do so by March 31 to avoid a 4 percent penalty in 2019.
01/23/2018 — CMS recently released the results of the final year of the Value-based Payment Modifier Program, which show fewer physicians receiving a negative payment adjustment.
Be MACRA Ready
More MACRA Ready Content
- 01/10/2018 — Free 2018 MIPS Playbook Ready for Download Now
- 01/04/2018 — CMS Launches User-friendly QPP Data Submission System
- 12/21/2017 — AAFP Calls for Further Changes to QPP Interim Final Rule
- 12/19/2017 — AAFP's Alternative Payment Model Wins Testing Recommendation
- 12/15/2017 — Take Action on MIPS by Dec. 31 to Avoid Medicare Penalty
- 12/13/2017 — FPM Offers Tutorial on New Quality Payment Program Rules
- 12/07/2017 — 2017 Hurricanes, Wildfires Prompt Changes in MIPS Reporting
- 11/15/2017 — Glean Key Points on 2018 QPP From AAFP Executive Summary
- 10/31/2017 — FPs: Help Frame QPP Cost Measures, Future Payment
- 10/17/2017 — Now Open: Virtual Group Election for MIPS Participation