November 15, 2017 01:58 pm — The AAFP has crafted a four-page executive summary of CMS' recently released 2018 Quality Payment Program Interim Final Rule that focuses on areas most likely to affect family physicians.Full Story »
MACRA: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act
The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) that was signed into law in April 2015 is setting up groundbreaking changes to the way physicians are paid by Medicare.
For starters, the act permanently repealed the hopelessly flawed sustainable growth rate formula, preventing a 21 percent cut to Medicare reimbursement rates. But it also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years and sets up a new, two-track Medicare physician payment system that emphasizes value-based payment models.
The AAFP is pulling no punches to make sure family physicians are poised to make the most of this new era of value-based payment -- working in Washington to show legislators and regulators how the law can best support primary care, while at the same time showing individual family physicians the concrete steps they can take to succeed in MACRA's new payment and quality reporting framework.
Keep an eye on AAFP News for timely updates about how the AAFP is flexing its muscles to shape MACRA into a tool that properly compensates family physicians for what they do better than anyone else -- provide high-quality, comprehensive, compassionate care for their patients.
Recent MACRA Ready News
10/17/2017 — Solo and small physician practices have until Dec. 1 to inform CMS they are forming a virtual group for 2018 Merit-based Incentive Payment System reporting.
10/16/2017 — Physicians can use a new interactive tool from CMS to see whether they have achieved qualifying participant status in an advanced alternative payment model.
10/09/2017 — The AAFP and more than 100 other medical organizations have told Congress that CMS needs three more years of flexibility with the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act.
Be MACRA Ready
More MACRA Ready Content
- 10/05/2017 — Free CMS Webcast Drills Down Into QRUR Use
- 09/26/2017 — 2016 QRURs, PQRS Reports Ready to Review
- 09/08/2017 — Free AAFP Webinar Prepares FPs for Quality Payment Program
- 08/28/2017 — AAFP Urges Changes in 2018 Quality Payment Program Proposal
- 08/25/2017 — AAFP Leads Effort to Halt Proposed QPP Changes
- 08/23/2017 — Dive into AAFP's 2017 MIPS Playbook, Earn Free CME
- 08/15/2017 — Stay Current, Subscribe to Quality Payment Program Listserv
- 08/14/2017 — AAFP's Pick Your Pace Week Features Free Webinar, Twitter Chat
- 08/09/2017 — Learn to Maximize Your Success in CMS' Quality Payment Program
- 08/09/2017 — Apply Now for Quality Payment Program Hardship Exception