If you're passionate about family medicine, fiscally savvy and a proven leader with a solid background in not-for-profit management, you may want to check out the job opportunity(www.globalfamilydoctor.com) of a lifetime: CEO of the World Organization of Family Doctors, better known as Wonca.
For those not familiar with the organization, Wonca is a global, not-for-profit academic umbrella organization that represents more than 550,000 family and general practice physicians.
The CEO, who reports to the Wonca president, is responsible for supporting the organization's leadership and providing daily oversight and management of all secretariat activities and staff. Among key responsibilities of this position are
- leading strategic and business development under the direction of the organization's president, executive committee and World Council;
- advancing Wonca's strategic plan and coordinating its implementation;
- overseeing financial management and accountability, including submission of biennial budgets;
- sustaining and growing Wonca's membership, as well as maintaining an accurate membership database;
- acquiring consultancies for the organization;
- fostering positive relationships with member organizations and other health-related groups, as well as with the media and government agencies;
- ensuring timely, effective and innovative communication at all levels of the organization and between Wonca and other interested parties; and
- establishing and maintaining an effective, equitable and positive work environment for staff.
In addition to the attributes noted above, a strong awareness of global trends and politics is desired, as is expertise in dealing with such issues. Understanding of and commitment to the effective use of information technologies is essential.
This is a full-time position, with a future perspective of eight to 10 years. The initial contract will be for five years, with an anticipated start date in late 2020.
Applicants for the CEO position should have a background in or intimate knowledge of family medicine/general practice. Although the successful candidate may hold a medical degree, exceptionally well qualified candidates who have at least a master's degree in other academic fields will be considered.
The Wonca CEO must have strong English oral and written communication skills and be in command of a second language. The successful candidate will also have the stamina to fulfill the essential functions of this position, which involves long hours and extensive international travel. The location of the secretariat will be discussed with the candidate.
In the interest of ensuring maximum confidentiality, Wonca has asked the AAFP to assist with the search process. Applicants for the position should send a letter discussing the responsibilities and requirements of the position, along with a copy of their resumé, to Holly McCoy, Vice President and Chief Human Capital Officer, American Academy of Family Physicians, 11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway, Leawood, KS 66211. Materials may also be emailed to her at email@example.com.
Don't dally, though; the deadline to submit applications is June 30.