Science & Education
Evidence-based knowledge and education, including guidelines, clinical recommendations, and physician education resources.
- AAFP Clinical Preventive Services Recommendations -- Resource list of all clinical preventive services recommendations, including those for the LGBT populations.
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health: Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People(transcare.ucsf.edu) -- Primary care guidelines for transgender health, including hormone initiation and monitoring.
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)(www.wpath.org) -- Guidelines and standards of care for transgender and gender non-conforming patients.
- Callen-Lorde: Protocols for the Provision of Hormone Therapy(callen-lorde.org) -- Guidelines for the provision of hormone therapy, including and outline of the process, benefits and risks of hormone therapy, sample consent forms, and other useful resources.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)(www.cdc.gov) -- CDC resource on the use of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for at-risk patients.
AAFP Position Papers & Policies
- AAFP Position Paper: Advancing Health Equity by Addressing the Social Determinants of Health in Family Medicine
- AAFP Policy: Coverage Equity for Drugs, Testing, Procedure, Preventive Services, and Reproductive Technologies
- AAFP Policy: Health Equity
- AAFP Policy: Cultural Proficiency Guidelines
- AAFP Policy: Prevention and Control of Sexually Transmitted and Blood Borne Infections
- AAFP Policy: Reparative Therapy
- AFP Article: Caring for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Persons: What Clinicians Should Know
- AFP by Topic: Care of Special Populations
- PFLAG National Glossary of Terms(pflag.org) -- LGBT Terms and Concepts
- National LGBT Health Education Center Learning Modules(www.lgbthealtheducation.org) -- A collection of modules and webinars designed to help create a welcoming and inclusive clinical environment for LGBT patients.
- GLMA Cultural Competence Webinar Series(glma.org) -- A collection of webinars from GLMA designed to help create a welcoming and inclusive clinical environment for LGBT patients.
- CARDEA: Providing Culturally Proficient Services to Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People(www.cardeaservices.org) -- A collection of modules to help physicians, clinicians, and other primary care providers deliver clinically competent, culturally proficient care to transgender and gender nonconforming people.
- Healthcare Equality Index(www.hrc.org) -- Ratings of health systems on LGBT-inclusive care and information on how to enhance LGBT-inclusive care.
- TransHealthCare(www.transhealthcare.org) -- TransHealthCare is a website operated by the Trans Media Network to help patients and providers find surgeons who perform gender affirming procedures.
- National Center for Transgender Equality ID Documents Center(transequality.org) -- Federal and state-specific information to help transgender patients update their name/gender markers on IDs and records.
Links to external websites and guidelines are provided as a courtesy. They are neither a guarantee nor an endorsement by the AAFP of the guidelines, products or services offered on these websites.