Tobacco and Nicotine Prevention and Control
You CAN Make a Difference
Tobacco use remains the leading preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States, making tobacco and smoking prevention, cessation, and policy issues a top priority in public health. As family physicians, we have real power in the fight against tobacco, smoking, and nicotine. Get involved in the fight against tobacco and nicotine with help from the AAFP.
- Approximately 70% of people who use tobacco products see a physician each year, so family physicians have the opportunity to make a significant impact on their patients' tobacco use, including those who have behavioral health disorders.
- Approximately 42,000 lives could be saved, if physicians would advise 90% of smokers to quit, and offer them medication or other assistance.
- Tobacco cessation more than doubles when evidence-based intervention programs are utilized.
Evidence-based knowledge and education, including AAFP clinical recommendations and policy statements, position papers, and educational resources.
Access physician resources designed to decrease tobacco use and increase cessation success rates in your patients and community.
Tools and resources to support patient care strategies, including toolkits, coding and payment information, and patient education.
Information on local, state, and national tobacco control advocacy efforts, including the latest on AAFP advocacy efforts.
Ask and Act
Learn how to ask patients about tobacco use, then act to help them quit with help from a variety of evidence-based tobacco cessation resources.
A community-based education program designed to teach kids to live tobacco-free.
Office Champions: A Systems Change Approach
Access practical strategies for making system changes to your practice to improve tobacco cessation success rates.
New Ask and Act Project | Address e-cigarette use in adolescents
Be a part of the one-year Reimagining Ask and Act Office Champions Project. As a participant, you will gain the tools and resources to address e-cigarette use among adolescents and young adults, and increase cessation rates in adults.
E-cigarettes & Vaping
- JUUL: An Electronic Cigarette You Should Know About
- Fact Sheet on JUUL (Physician(1 page PDF) & Patient(1 page PDF))
- E-Cigarette Fact Sheet (English(2 page PDF) & Spanish(1 page PDF))