Access to Health Care
Talk to Your Patients About the Health Insurance Marketplace Open Enrollment
As a family physician, you have the opportunity to help your patients understand the changing health care landscape so they can make coverage decisions that are appropriate for their health care needs. During patient visits, discuss the insurance options available through the marketplace and remind them to enroll.
Advocating for Health Care Access
The AAFP is active in advocating for access to health care. Learn how we're working at the federal and state levels to promote accessible primary care for all.
Enrollment for Coverage
Patients can enroll for health insurance coverage during open enrollment through the Health Insurance Marketplace(www.healthcare.gov). The Health Insurance Marketplace offers uninsured patients options to research, compare, and purchase comprehensive health insurance plans.
- Low-cost coverage options are available through the marketplace.
- All marketplace plans offer a comprehensive set of essential benefits
- Plans can no longer deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions.
- People who don't have health care coverage will have to pay a fee
Essential Benefits Covered
- Outpatient care
- Trips to the emergency room
- Hospital treatment
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health care services
- Pediatric health care services
- Prescription drug coverage
- Care for injuries, disabilities, or chronic conditions
- Lab tests
Preventive Services Covered
- Obesity screening and counseling
- Blood pressure screening
- Type 2 diabetes screening for adults who have hypertension
- Cholesterol screening for at-risk adults
- See all covered preventive services(www.healthcare.gov)
The ACA Pocket Guide for Providers(248 KB PDF) gives you at-a-glance information about ACA covered services for your patients.