Rationale and Comments
In patients with low back pain, bed rest has not been shown to be beneficial and has been shown to delay recovery.
- North American Spine Society
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- Dahm KT, Brurberg KG, Jamtvedt G, Hagen KB. Advice to rest in bed versus advice to stay active for acute low-back pain and sciatica. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Jun 16;(6):CD007612.
- McIntosh G, Hall H. Low back pain (acute). BMJ Clin Evid. 2011;2011:1102.
- Abdel Shaheed C, Maher CG, Williams KA, McLchlan AJ. Interventions available over the counter and advice for acute low back pain: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Pain. 2014;15(1):2-15.
- Casser HR, Seddigh S, Rauschmann M. Acute lumbar back pain. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2016;113(13):223-234.