Rationale and Comments
The value of this form of “migraine surgery” is still a research question. Observational studies and a small controlled trial suggest possible benefit. However, large multicenter, randomized controlled trials with long-term follow-up are needed to provide accurate estimates of the effectiveness and harms of surgery. Long-term side effects are unknown but potentially a concern.
- American Headache Society
- Guyuron B, Kriegler JS, Davis J, Amini SB. Comprehensive surgical treatment of migraine headaches. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;115:1-9.
- Guyuron B, Reed D, Kriegler JS, Davis J, Pashmini N, Amini S. A placebo-controlled surgical trial of the treatment of migraine headaches. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009;124:461-8.
- Guyuron B, Kriegler JS, Davis J, Amini SB. Five-year outcome of surgical treatment of migraine headaches. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;127:603-8.
- American Headache Society urges caution in using any surgical intervention in migraine treatment. Position statement of the American Headache Society [Internet]. Mount Royal (NJ): American Headache Society; 2012 April 13 [cited 11 January 2013] Available from: www.americanheadachesociety.org/american_headache_society_urges_caution_in_using_any_surgical_intervention_in_migraine_treatment.