Rationale and Comments
Studies have shown that patients taking five or more medications often find it difficult to understand and adhere to complex medication regimens. A comprehensive review, including medical conditions, should be done at periodic intervals, at least annually, to determine if the medications are still needed and if any medications can be discontinued.
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Maher RL, et al. Clinical consequences of polypharmacy in elderly. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2014; 13: 57-65. dx.doi.org/10.1517/14740338.2013.827660.
- Gorard, DA. Escalating polypharmacy. QJM 2006; 99 (11): 797-800. doi.org/10.1093/qjmed/hcl109.
- Lehnbom, EC, et al. Impact of medication reconciliation and review on clinical outcomes. Ann Pharmacother. 2014;48:1298-1312.
- Shane, R and Abramowitz, PW. Choosing Wisely: Pharmacy’s role in effective use of medications. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2015; 72:1529-30. doi.org/10.2146/ajhp150324.