Rationale and Comments
In average-risk women, annual cervical cytology screening has been shown to offer no advantage over screening performed at three-year intervals. However, a well-woman visit should occur annually for patients with their health care provider to discuss concerns, problems, and have appropriate screening, with consideration of a pelvic examination.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- ACS/ASCCP/ASCP guidelines
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists guidelines
- Preventive Medicine
- Boulware LE, et al. Systematic review: the value of the periodic health evaluation. Ann Intern Med. 2007;146:289-300.
- Saslow D, et al. American Cancer Society, American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, and American Society for Clinical Pathology screening guidelines for the prevention and early detection of cervical cancer. CA Cancer J Clin. 2012;62:147-72.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Well-woman visit. Committee opinion no. 534. Obstet Gynecol 2012;120:421-4.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Screening for cervical cancer. Practice bulletin no. 131. Obstet Gynecol. 2012;120(5):122-38.