Please note: This information was current at the time of publication but now may be out of date. This handout provides a general overview and may not apply to everyone. 

brand logo

Am Fam Physician. 2012;85(9):905

See related article on adverse birth outcomes.

How do I cope with pregnancy loss?

Pregnancy loss can take many different forms, from miscarriage to stillbirth to death soon after the baby is delivered. Every woman and her family will experience loss differently. There is no right or wrong way to feel after losing your baby.

Your doctor can be a good resource after a pregnancy loss. He or she can help you understand why it happened. If you need emotional support, your doctor can help you find someone to talk to. He or she can also provide resources that may be helpful for your partner, your children, and other family members.

What caused the loss?

Your doctor may need to do tests on you and your baby to try to find out what caused the pregnancy loss. Most of the time—but not always—these tests will show the cause.

What do I need to do in future pregnancies?

If you want to plan another pregnancy, talk to your doctor about how long you should wait. If a health problem caused your pregnancy loss, your doctor can help you treat the problem before you conceive again. You also may need to have more tests done before or during your next pregnancy.

Where can I find support for myself and my family?

Your doctor

A Place to Remember

Compassionate Friends

National SUID/SIDS Resource Center

Continue Reading

More in AFP

More in PubMed

Copyright © 2012 by the American Academy of Family Physicians.

This content is owned by the AAFP. A person viewing it online may make one printout of the material and may use that printout only for his or her personal, non-commercial reference. This material may not otherwise be downloaded, copied, printed, stored, transmitted or reproduced in any medium, whether now known or later invented, except as authorized in writing by the AAFP.  See permissions for copyright questions and/or permission requests.