Grandner MA, Malhotra A. Sleep as a vital sign: why medical practitioners need to routinely ask their patients about sleep. Sleep Health. 2015;1(1):11-12.
- Watson NF, Badr MS, Belenky G, et al. Recommended amount of sleep for a healthy adult: a joint consensus statement of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and Sleep Research Society. Sleep. 2015;38(6):843-844.
Senthilvel E, Auckley D, Dasarathy J. Evaluation of sleep disorders in the primary care setting: history taking compared to questionnaires. J Clin Sleep Med. 2011;7(1):41-48.
- Shahrbabaki SS, Linz D, Hartmann S, et al. Sleep arousal burden is associated with long-term all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in 8,001 community-dwelling older men and women. Eur Heart J. 2021;42(21):2088-2099.
Huyett P, Bhattacharyya N. Incremental health care utilization and expenditures for sleep disorders in the United States. J Clin Sleep Med. 2021;17(10):1981-1986.
Ramar K, Olson EJ. Management of common sleep disorders. Am Fam Physician. 2013;88(4):231-238. Accessed October 26, 2021. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2013/0815/p231.html
International Classification of Sleep Disorders. 3rd ed. American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2014.
- Kapur VK, Auckley DH, Chowdhuri S, et al. Clinical practice guideline for diagnostic testing for adult obstructive sleep apnea: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine clinical practice guideline. J Clin Sleep Med. 2017;13(3):479-504.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th ed. American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
- Edinger JD, Arnedt JT, Bertisch SM, et al. Behavioral and psychological treatments for chronic insomnia disorder in adults: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine systematic review, meta-analysis, and GRADE assessment. J Clin Sleep Med. 2021;17(2):263-298.
- Smith MT, McCrae CS, Cheung J, et al. Use of actigraphy for the evaluation of sleep disorders and circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorders: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine clinical practice guideline. J Clin Sleep Med. 2018;14(7):1231-1237.
- Qaseem A, Kansagara D, Forciea MA, et al.; Clinical Guidelines Committee of the American College of Physicians. Management of chronic insomnia disorder in adults: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2016;165(2):125-133.
- Trauer JM, Qian MY, Doyle JS, et al. Cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic insomnia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2015;163(3):191-204.
- Sandlund C, Hetta J, Nilsson GH, et al. Improving insomnia in primary care patients: a randomized controlled trial of nurse-led group treatment. Int J Nurs Stud. 2017;72:30-41.
- Wilson S, Anderson K, Baldwin D, et al. British Association for Psychopharmacology consensus statement on evidence-based treatment of insomnia, parasomnias and circadian rhythm disorders: an update. J Psychopharmacol. 2019;33(8):923-947.
Pigeon WR. Treatment of adult insomnia with cognitive-behavioral therapy. J Clin Psychol. 2010;66(11):1148-1160.
Davidson JR, Dickson C, Han H. Cognitive behavioural treatment for insomnia in primary care: a systematic review of sleep outcomes. Br J Gen Pract. 2019;69(686):e657-e664.
- Ritterband LM, Thorndike FP, Ingersoll KS, et al. Effect of a web-based cognitive behavior therapy for insomnia intervention with 1-year follow-up: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74(1):68-75.
- Chung KF, Lee CT, Yeung WF, et al. Sleep hygiene education as a treatment of insomnia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Fam Pract. 2018;35(4):365-375.
Epocrates. Accessed December 14, 2021. https://online.epocrates.com
- Sateia MJ, Buysse DJ, Krystal AD, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the pharmacologic treatment of chronic insomnia in adults: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine clinical practice guideline. J Clin Sleep Med. 2017;13(2):307-349.
- Auger RR, Burgess HJ, Emens JS, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the treatment of intrinsic circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorders: advanced sleep-wake phase disorder (ASWPD), delayed sleep-wake phase disorder (DSWPD), non-24-hour sleep-wake rhythm disorder (N24SWD), and irregular sleep-wake rhythm disorder (ISWRD). An update for 2015: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Sleep Med. 2015;11(10):1199-1236.
- Sletten TL, Magee M, Murray JM, et al.; Delayed Sleep on Melatonin (DelSoM) Study Group. Efficacy of melatonin with behavioural sleep-wake scheduling for delayed sleep-wake phase disorder: a double-blind, randomised clinical trial. PLoS Med. 2018;15(6):e1002587.
- Richardson C, Cain N, Bartel K, et al. A randomised controlled trial of bright light therapy and morning activity for adolescents and young adults with delayed sleep-wake phase disorder. Sleep Med. 2018;45:114-123.
- Roguski A, Rayment D, Whone AL, et al. A neurologist’s guide to REM sleep behavior disorder. Front Neurol. 2020;11:610.
St Louis EK, Boeve BF. REM Sleep behavior disorder: diagnosis, clinical implications, and future directions. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017;92(11):1723-1736.
- Aurora RN, Kristo DA, Bista SR, et al.; American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The treatment of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder in adults—an update for 2012: practice parameters with an evidence-based systematic review and meta-analyses: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline. Sleep. 2012;35(8):1039-1062.
Sateia MJ. International classification of sleep disorders-third edition: highlights and modifications. Chest. 2014;146(5):1387-1394.
Winkelman JW, Bottary RM. Restless legs syndrome: clinical implications for psychiatrists. Psychiatr Times. 2017;34(7) ). July 20, 2017. Accessed February 12, 2021. https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/restless-legs-syndrome-clinical-implications-psychiatrists
Muth CC. Restless legs syndrome. JAMA. 2017;317(7):780.
Garcia-Borreguero D, Cano-Pumarega I. New concepts in the management of restless legs syndrome. BMJ. 2017;356:j104.
- Allen RP, Picchietti DL, Garcia-Borreguero D, et al.; International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group. Restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease diagnostic criteria: updated International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group (IRLSSG) consensus criteria—history, rationale, description, and significance. Sleep Med. 2014;15(8):860-873.
Bertisch S. In the clinic. Restless legs syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 2015;163(9):ITC1-ITC11.
- Silber MH, Buchfuhrer MJ, Earley CJ, et al.; Scientific and Medical Advisory Board of the Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation. The management of restless legs syndrome: an updated algorithm. Mayo Clin Proc. 2021;96(7):1921-1937.
Scammell TE. Narcolepsy. N Engl J Med. 2015;373(27):2654-2662.
Golden EC, Lipford MC. Narcolepsy: diagnosis and management. Cleve Clin J Med. 2018;85(12):959-969.
Lehert P, Falissard B. Multiple treatment comparison in narcolepsy: a network meta-analysis. Sleep. 2018;41(12):zsy185.
- Xu XM, Wei YD, Liu Y, et al. Gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) for narcolepsy in adults: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Med. 2019;64:62-70.
Patel SR. Obstructive sleep apnea. Ann Intern Med. 2019;171(11):ITC81-ITC96.
- Peppard PE, Young T, Barnet JH, et al. Increased prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in adults. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;177(9):1006-1014.
- Heilbrunn ES, Ssentongo P, Chinchilli VM, et al. Sudden death in individuals with obstructive sleep apnoea: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open Respir Res. 2021;8(1):e000656.
- Bibbins-Domingo K, Grossman DC, Curry SJ, et al. Screening for obstructive sleep apnea in adults: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. JAMA. 2017;317(4):407-414.
- Nagappa M, Wong J, Singh M, et al. An update on the various practical applications of the STOP-Bang questionnaire in anesthesia, surgery, and perioperative medicine. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2017;30(1):118-125.
- Acquavella J, Mehra R, Bron M, et al. Prevalence of narcolepsy and other sleep disorders and frequency of diagnostic tests from 2013–2016 in insured patients actively seeking care. J Clin Sleep Med. 2020;16(8):1255-1263.
- Dodds S, Williams LJ, Roguski A, et al. Mortality and morbidity in obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea syndrome: results from a 30-year prospective cohort study. ERJ Open Res. 2020;6(3):00057-2020.
- McEvoy RD, Antic NA, Heeley E, et al.; SAVE Investigators and Coordinators. CPAP for prevention of cardiovascular events in obstructive sleep apnea. N Engl J Med. 2016;375(10):919-931.
- Kelly J, Wimms A, Turnbull C, et al. The effect of CPAP on quality of life in patients with ‘very’ mild obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA): results from a subset of the MERGE randomised trial. Eur Respir J. 2020;56(suppl 64):4736.
- Mysliwiec V, Martin JL, Ulmer CS, et al. The management of chronic insomnia disorder and obstructive sleep apnea: synopsis of the 2019 U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and U.S. Department of Defense clinical practice guidelines [published correction appears in Ann Intern Med. 2021; 174(4): 584]. Ann Intern Med. 2020;172(5):325-336.
Wolk R, Shamsuzzaman AS, Somers VK. Obesity, sleep apnea, and hypertension. Hypertension. 2003;42(6):1067-1074.
Balachandran JS, Patel SR. In the clinic. Obstructive sleep apnea. Ann Intern Med. 2014;161(9):ITC1-ITC16.