January 18, 2017 03:47 pm — The abundance of terminology related to annual exams can be confusing for patients and even physicians. Lynne Lillie, M.D., breaks down what should be included in various types of exams and how to get paid for each of them.Full Story »
As We See It: Voices From the AAFP
"As We See It" uses messages from AAFP leadership, editorials and other opinion pieces to update you on Academy advocacy and other key topics, often including "inside story" information to help you better understand the Academy's actions. From time to time, individual AAFP members may be invited to share their views on issues via guest opinions. As We See It online also is the home for letters to the editor.
Like what you read in As We See It? Beg to differ? Have an issue you think As We See It should address? E-mail your ideas -- and your letters to the editor -- to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, take advantage of the comments feature shown on each story page to air your views.
Recent "As We See It" Content
01/18/2017 — Family physicians make a difference every day in their communities. Former AAFP President Richard Roberts, M.D., J.D., writes that the AAFP offers members opportunities to do so on a much larger scale.
01/16/2017 — What can physicians learn from a Broadway musical? Gerry Tolbert, M.D., writes that Hamilton provides some important lessons about language and being willing to take a stand.
01/11/2017 — A recent study found that female physicians achieved better outcomes than men. We asked married practice partners Beth Oller, M.D., and Mike Oller, M.D., for their thoughts on gender and medicine.
01/09/2017 — Lauren Abdul-Majeed writes that misconceptions about family medicine are "toxic" for medical students and negatively affect an already inadequate primary care workforce.
01/04/2017 — A disconnect between primary care physicians and oncologists can be problematic for cancer patients. Health care organizations, including the AAFP, are working on solutions.
More "As We See It" News
- 01/04/2017 — Cancer Survivors Need FPs, Subspecialists to Collaborate
- 01/03/2017 — Can Increased Awareness Trump Cyberbullies?
- 01/03/2017 — DPC Is a Sensible Workforce Solution
- 12/21/2016 — Screen for Alcohol Abuse During Holiday Season
- 12/20/2016 — Can a Sense of Gratitude Make You Happier?
- 12/14/2016 — Making Our Point on Immunizations With Vaccine Manufacturers
- 12/12/2016 — Power of Diagnosis: Delivering Bad News Is Just the Beginning
- 12/07/2016 — Time to Lift 16-Hour Limit on First-year Residents
- 12/02/2016 — Gallows Humor Is No Laughing Matter
- 11/29/2016 — FPs Can Shape Social Determinants of Health Outside Clinic