March 10, 2014 04:23 pm — When I first was approached about contributing to the Fresh Perspectives blog, I was nervous about signing up because I had finished residency only six months earlier. What could I possibly know that would benefit other physicians who have just finished residency? Honestly, I still feel that way.Full Story »
As We See It: Voices From the AAFP
"As We See It" uses messages from AAFP leadership, editorials and other opinion pieces to update you on Academy advocacy and other key topics, often including "inside story" information to help you better understand the Academy's actions. From time to time, individual AAFP members may be invited to share their views on issues via guest opinions. As We See It online also is the home for letters to the editor.
Like what you read in As We See It? Beg to differ? Have an issue you think As We See It should address? E-mail your ideas -- and your letters to the editor -- to email@example.com. Or, take advantage of the comments feature shown on each story page to air your views.
Recent "As We See It" Stories
03/05/2014 — It's not an everyday occurrence when a family physician proves to be a bigger draw -- at least for a few minutes -- than a two-time Academy Award winner. But that was the case last Wednesday when Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., stepped out of a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing (where Ben Affleck was testifying about issues in the Congo) to talk with me about the sustainable growth rate formula and the need to extend funding for teaching health centers.
03/03/2014 — When I made the decision in medical school to become a family physician, I pictured myself working in a rural private practice. In my mind's eye, this looked something like a Norman Rockwell painting. As my residency and fellowship training drew to a close and I began the job search in earnest, my idealism was met with a stark reality: Private practice seemed to be vanishing.
02/28/2014 — Last fall, the Family Medicine Working Party launched an initiative to define the role of the 21st century family physician and ensure that our specialty can deliver the workforce to perform this role. Here is the latest update on the progress of this important project.
Chapter Spotlight Series
More "As We See It" News
- 02/27/2014 — Primary Care Education Focus of Obama Budget Proposal
- 02/26/2014 — Successful Underdog Stories Resonate With Family Physicians
- 02/24/2014 — Caring for Patients With Addiction Problems Takes Practice
- 02/21/2014 — Building the Family Medicine Pipeline
- 02/19/2014 — Learning, Building Connections Are Two Benefits of Vaccine Fellowship
- 02/18/2014 — Advocacy Improves Community Health Beyond Exam Room
- 02/18/2014 — It's OK to Ask for Help
- 02/13/2014 — Finding Balance Between Home, Practice Worth the Effort
- 02/12/2014 — Docs Should Verify Insurance Coverage for Marketplace Patients
- 02/12/2014 — AAFP Foundation Strengthens Family Medicine
- 02/07/2014 — Changing the Trajectory of Burnout in Medicine