Please note: This information was current at the time of publication. But medical information is always changing, and some information given here may be out of date. For regularly updated information on a variety of health topics, please visit, the AAFP patient education website.

Information from Your Family Doctor

Vulvodynia: What You Should Know


Am Fam Physician. 2006 Apr 1;73(7):1239.

  See related article on vulvodynia.

What is vulvodynia?

Vulvodynia (say: vull-voh-DIN-ee-uh) is often present when the area around the opening of the vagina hurts for many months or years. If you have vulvodynia, the area may hurt when you have sex, use tampons, ride a bicycle, or wear tight clothes. You also might hurt for no reason. The pain may be burning, stabbing, or stinging, or you might only itch.

How did I get it?

Doctors are not sure why women get this problem. It might be caused by nerves in the area that are too sensitive. Vulvodynia is not caused by cancer or a sexually transmitted disease. It also is not a psychological problem.

How is this problem treated?

You should see your doctor if you think you might have vulvodynia. He or she will run tests to make sure your pain or itching is not caused by an infection.

If you have vulvodynia, your doctor might give you medicine. This is often a pill that you swallow or a cream that you rub on the area.

Even though vulvodynia is not a psychological problem, some women find it helpful to see a therapist to learn ways to deal with the pain. Your doctor might give you medicine that is used to treat depression. This is because these medicines help make the nerves in the area less sensitive, not because your doctor thinks you are depressed.

Your doctor also might want you to try physical therapy. Rarely, some women with very bad pain might need to have surgery.

Will I always have it?

Doctors used to think vulvodynia was a lifelong problem. But there have been women whose symptoms went away, sometimes after several years of treatment.

Where can I get more information?

Your doctor

National Vulvodynia Association

Telephone: (301) 299–0775

Web site:

This handout is provided to you by your family doctor and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Other health-related information is available from the AAFP online at

This information provides a general overview and may not apply to everyone. Talk to your family doctor to find out if this information applies to you and to get more information on this subject.


Copyright © 2006 by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
This content is owned by the AAFP. A person viewing it online may make one printout of the material and may use that printout only for his or her personal, non-commercial reference. This material may not otherwise be downloaded, copied, printed, stored, transmitted or reproduced in any medium, whether now known or later invented, except as authorized in writing by the AAFP. Contact for copyright questions and/or permission requests.

Want to use this article elsewhere? Get Permissions


Jan 2022

Access the latest issue of American Family Physician

Read the Issue

Email Alerts

Don't miss a single issue. Sign up for the free AFP email table of contents.

Sign Up Now

Navigate this Article