Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics
Hold an ALSO® Instructor Course
View Your ALSO Course Dashboard
The ALSO Instructor Course is designed to teach current ALSO providers the skills and knowledge needed to effectively facilitate lectures and workstations at an ALSO Provider Course. Successful completion of this course, as well as evaluation and recommendation by an advisory faculty member is required to become an ALSO approved instructor.
Participants attending an ALSO Course learn practical, standardized team-based approaches to managing emergency situations, such as postpartum hemorrhage, shoulder dystocia, breech delivery, cord prolapse and maternal resuscitation. Although labor and delivery room emergency care is the main focus of the program, the ALSO curriculum further addresses preventive care and practice concerns, such as medical complications of pregnancy, preterm labor, labor dystocia, trauma, and helping parents cope with a birth crisis.
At the end of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Discuss educational tools that can be used when giving feedback to ALSO® course participants.
- Describe how to assist participants in dealing with questions and conflicts that can occur during the workstations.
- Demonstrate teaching capabilities by providing hands-on role-play utilizing maternal-fetal mannequins along with timely feedback in order to adapt teaching methods to various situations.
- Demonstrate the ability to facilitate group discussion, as well as consider ways to implement faculty and learner feedback to enhance the educational experience.
Furthermore, upon successful completion of this activity, learners will be designated as ALSO Instructor Candidates.
Instructor Candidates are required to:
- Be observed by an Advisory Faculty teaching in one ALSO Provider Course within 1 year of their instructor course date.
- Have an Instructor Candidate Evaluation completed by an Advisory Faculty member who recommends to the AAFP that the candidate become an ALSO Approved Instructor.
View Your ALSO Course Dashboard
The ALSO Instructor course offers a robust training program with such curriculum topics as:
ALSO Instructor Course Core Chapters
- Adult-Based Learning
- Giving Effective Feedback
- Facilitating Maternal Resuscitation Workshop
- Assessing Skills in the Workstations
- Facilitating Group Interactive Case Discussions
- Group Testing Demonstration
This document provides a comprehensive description of the process, responsibilities, and the standards which must be upheld when planning and implementing an ALSO course.
Applicants will be asked to upload this completed document during the CME credit application process.
After the application is reviewed and all course requirements have been met, a course approval email will be generated with additional information and next steps.
After course approval, use the dashboard to view a learner list with pre-course completion status, record faculty information, upload course roster, and much more.
Course Materials/Registration Fee
|One per course|
|Online Learner Access Fee|
Includes access to downloadable ALSO Instructor Manual
|$120||Cost per learner|
|ALSO Instructor Manual, Printed Version||$49.95||Optional cost per instructor|
|ALSO Mnemonic Reference Cards (recommended)||$12.95||Optional cost per learner|
*Fee schedule reflects content costs and excludes shipping costs for printed materials. Course sponsors must meet all requirements outlined in the Course Guidelines document, which may incur additional costs.
Sponsor will be invoiced for all fees after the course date. Sponsor may pay by credit card, check, or money order.