Thursday Aug 23, 2018
Medicare rolls out new cards to another group of states
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has started mailing new Medicare cards to beneficiaries who live in “Wave 5” states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. CMS continues to mail new cards to people who live in “Wave 4” states (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont), as well as nationwide to people who are new to Medicare.
CMS has finished mailing cards to people with Medicare who live in states and territories included in Waves 1, 2, and 3(www.cms.gov). It will begin mailing to Waves 6 and 7 later this year.
If any of your Medicare patients live in a state covered by Waves 1-5 and say they have not yet received their new card, you can tell them to:
- Sign into MyMedicare.gov(www.mymedicare.gov) to see if CMS has mailed their card. If so, they can print an official card. They must create an account if they do not already have one.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). There might be something that needs to be corrected or updated, such as their mailing address.
You can print out and give your patients a copy of “Still Waiting for Your New Card?(www.cms.gov)” or you can order copies(productordering.cms.hhs.gov) to hand out. You can also direct your Medicare patients to Medicare.gov/NewCard(www.medicare.gov) for information about the mailings and to sign up to get email about the status of card mailings in their state.
Remember, you can use either the patient’s former Social Security Number-based Health Insurance Claim Number or the new alpha-numeric Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) for all Medicare transactions through Dec. 31, 2019.
For additional information on the transition to the new MBI:
- New MBI: Get It, Use It (a Medicare Learning Network Matters Article)(www.cms.gov)
- MLN Fact Sheet(www.cms.gov)
- New Medicare Card Information website(www.cms.gov)
– Kent Moore, Senior Strategist for Physician Payment for the American Academy of Family Physicians
Posted at 02:15PM Aug 23, 2018 by Kent Moore