Wednesday Apr 18, 2018
Make your EHR more efficient
Getting the most out of your electronic health record (EHR) isn’t easy. It often requires finding ways within your system to solve your most frustrating problems. These eight tips can help make your EHR more efficient:
1. Optimize screen real estate, particularly on the initial screen, to reduce clicks.
2. Set default filters to deliver the most important information, such as the last note you created, when you open a chart.
3. Find out if your system can translate physician-entered data into correct diagnosis codes.
4. Create a favorites folder containing your most commonly used medication, admitting, or other orders for easier retrieval.
5. Limit the amount of information you type into a note, especially if it’s available elsewhere in the record.
6. Build prepopulated templates for common visit types, such as viral upper respiratory infection or skin procedures.
7. Use computer macros or voice recognition software to speed up documentation.
8. Ask for help, look for solutions, and coach others.
Adapted from “Lessons From the Road to EHR Usability.”
Posted at 11:45PM Apr 18, 2018 by FPM Editors