Thursday Jun 28, 2018
Two ways to find meaning in medicine
Rushing through your workday can leave you feeling frustrated, distracted, and depleted. But mindful interactions can help you feel more effective and fulfilled. To practice mindfulness during patient visits, focus on cultivating connection and curiosity.
To build connection, find areas of commonality:
- Do you both have children?
- Have you both struggled with a parent's illness?
- Do you have any similar experiences of suffering, challenges, or joys?
To practice curiosity, consider the other person's circumstances:
- What is it like to be a migrant farmer?
- How does this patient deal with chronic pain or anxiety?
- What kind of support does this patient have at home?
Adapted from “Reducing Frustration and Increasing Fulfillment: Mindfulness.”
Posted at 04:00PM Jun 28, 2018 by FPM Editors