« Ask your patients wi... | Main | How to get more youn... »

Wednesday Sep 25, 2019

Get certified to prescribe opioid withdrawal meds in four steps

As awareness of the addictive potential of opioids has increased, more patients are looking for help in getting off these drugs. Studies show that buprenorphine can help people quit by lessening withdrawal symptoms.1 But unlike opioids themselves, this opioid abuse disorder medication requires a federal waiver to prescribe it.

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration(www.samhsa.gov) (SAMHSA), less than 10 percent of doctors nationwide have the waiver. Family physicians prescribe more opioids by volume than physicians in any other specialty and may be best equipped to spot the early signs of opioid use disorder because they see patients regularly. Here’s how to get certified to help patients access medication-assisted treatment (MAT) with buprenorphine:

Once you have your waiver you will also want to identify counseling services to refer patients to.

Read the full FPM article: "Preparations for Treating Opioid Use Disorder in the Office."

1. Mello NK, Mendelson JH, Lukas SE, et al. Buprenorphine treatment of opiate and cocaine abuse. Harvard Review of Psychiatry. 1993;1(3):168-183.

Insightful, quick-read tips delivered straight to your inbox

Sign up to receive FPM's free, weekly e-newsletter, "Quick Tips & Insights," filled with practical, peer-reviewed advice you can put to work right now to improve patient care, streamline your day, get properly reimbursed, and improve career satisfaction.

Posted at 08:00PM Sep 25, 2019 by FPM Editors

« Ask your patients wi... | Main | How to get more youn... »






The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the AAFP. All comments are moderated and will be removed if they violate our Terms of Use.