The COVID-19 pandemic and racial justice protests have brought new attention to long-standing race-based disparities in health outcomes. These online resources can help physicians become stronger advocates for change.
1. The 21-Day Racial Equity Habit Building Challenge: A program from Eddie Moore, PhD, that offers a template to structure learning on the subject.
2. Peggy McIntosh’s White Privilege Papers: Groundbreaking documents that describe McIntosh’s process for identifying her own privilege.
3. Toolkit for Teaching About Racism: A collection of materials developed by the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine.
4. How to Identify, Understand, and Unlearn Implicit Bias in Patient Care: FPM article that provides a step-by-step method to identify and address bias.
5. In Focus: Reducing Racial Disparities in Health Care by Confronting Racism: Developed by the Commonwealth Fund, this overview of specific racial disparities in health care also discusses potential solutions.
6. Health Equity, Diversity, and Social Determinants of Health: An FPM topic collection with more articles on the subject.
Read the full FPM editorial: Racism in Health Care: Creating a More Equitable Health Care Experience
Sign up to receive FPM's free, weekly e-newsletter, "Quick Tips & Insights," featuring practical, peer-reviewed advice for improving practice, enhancing the patient experience, and developing a rewarding career.