June 28, 2016 02:58 pm — John Cullen, M.D., says medical students need to experience family medicine away from academic medical centers so they might choose the specialty themselves.Full Story »
As We See It: Voices From the AAFP
"As We See It" uses messages from AAFP leadership, editorials and other opinion pieces to update you on Academy advocacy and other key topics, often including "inside story" information to help you better understand the Academy's actions. From time to time, individual AAFP members may be invited to share their views on issues via guest opinions. As We See It online also is the home for letters to the editor.
Like what you read in As We See It? Beg to differ? Have an issue you think As We See It should address? E-mail your ideas -- and your letters to the editor -- to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, take advantage of the comments feature shown on each story page to air your views.
Recent "As We See It" Content
06/22/2016 — As the AAFP prepares to recognize a dozen exceptional residents, Carl Olden, M.D., reflects on the importance of mentoring future family physicians.
06/21/2016 — Two recent surveys indicate that the average family physician salary is skyrocketing, but a few of our new physician bloggers note that "individual results may vary."
06/14/2016 — Gerry Tolbert, M.D., writes that the fight against drug-resistant bacteria depends on all of us -- pharmaceutical companies, physicians and patients alike.
06/13/2016 — AAFP President Wanda Filer, M.D., M.B.A., and representatives of four other physician groups offer a message of hope in response to the recent shooting in Orlando, Fla.
06/08/2016 — The energy of family physician leaders who come to conferences eager to tackle important issues inspires Marie-Elizabeth Ramas, M.D.
More "As We See It" News
- 06/08/2016 — Catching a Dream: Participating in Leadership Keeps 'Goblins' at Bay
- 06/06/2016 — Paging Dr. Mom: Becoming a Parent Made Me a Better Physician
- 05/31/2016 — Diagnosis Dangerous: What Do You Do When a Patient is Armed, Hostile?
- 05/26/2016 — We're Getting the Media to Spread the Word About Family Medicine
- 05/24/2016 — How Can Family Physicians Turn Back the Rising Suicide Rate?
- 05/20/2016 — Let's All Commit to Reverse the Opioid Epidemic
- 05/20/2016 — Help Save Our Med School Program and Its Primary Care Focus
- 05/18/2016 — Can Mindfulness Meditation Deliver Us From Burnout?
- 05/17/2016 — Six Lessons From Six Months as Medical Director
- 05/10/2016 — If We Fail to Recognize Our Own Bias, We Fail Patients