April 28, 2017 01:26 pm — Mental health experts are concerned that the popular Netflix series 13 Reasons Why glamorizes teen suicide. The AAFP has resources that can help physicians and patients talk about this issue.Full Story »
As We See It: Voices From the AAFP
"As We See It" uses messages from AAFP leadership, editorials and other opinion pieces to update you on Academy advocacy and other key topics, often including "inside story" information to help you better understand the Academy's actions. From time to time, individual AAFP members may be invited to share their views on issues via guest opinions.
Like what you read in As We See It? Beg to differ? Have an issue you think As We See It should address? E-mail your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, take advantage of the comments feature shown on each story page to air your views.
Recent "As We See It" Content
04/25/2017 — HIV screening is recommended for everyone from adolescence to age 65. Jeffrey T. Kirchner, D.O., offers advice on how to talk with patients about a positive test result.
04/24/2017 — In the aftermath of two terrible local accidents, resident Stewart Decker, M.D., reflects on the importance of resilience and community.
04/20/2017 — Differences in dialects mean that even when physicians and patients speak the same language, barriers to clear communication may still exist.
04/17/2017 — The administration's budget blueprint makes harmful cuts to agencies that impact health. AAFP President John Meigs, M.D., writes that family physicians must speak up.
04/17/2017 — Lynne Lillie, M.D., writes that family physicians are uniquely positioned to find a path through polarized politics that can lead to a solution to our health care crisis.
More "As We See It" News
- 04/17/2017 — Finding Purple: Creating Nonpartisan Paths to Advance Primary Care
- 04/17/2017 — Twins Multiply Challenges -- and Rewards -- of Breastfeeding
- 04/11/2017 — FPs Can Lead in Treating Transgender Patients With Dignity
- 04/10/2017 — FPs Answer Call in Times of Need -- No Matter Where
- 04/05/2017 — Congress Needs the Expertise of Family Physicians
- 04/04/2017 — Sorry, I'm Too Busy for Your Busy Work
- 04/04/2017 — Not Blowing Smoke: FPs Can Make a Difference on Tobacco
- 03/29/2017 — Two Common-sense Interventions Could Prevent Gun-related Deaths
- 03/27/2017 — What to Do When Experienced Colleague Is Wrong? Speak Up
- 03/22/2017 — AHCA Won't Help Patients Who Need It Most