March 13, 2014 01:54 pm — Did you ever attend the AAFP's National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students? Or do you remember your first round of residency interviews? We all likely had that moment in our experiences as developing physicians when we found "our people." It's the feeling that you have connected with colleagues who have the same passion, people who reinvigorate us with our shared vision of why we became family physicians.Full Story »
As We See It: Voices From the AAFP
"As We See It" uses messages from AAFP leadership, editorials and other opinion pieces to update you on Academy advocacy and other key topics, often including "inside story" information to help you better understand the Academy's actions. From time to time, individual AAFP members may be invited to share their views on issues via guest opinions. As We See It online also is the home for letters to the editor.
Like what you read in As We See It? Beg to differ? Have an issue you think As We See It should address? E-mail your ideas -- and your letters to the editor -- to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, take advantage of the comments feature shown on each story page to air your views.
Recent "As We See It" Stories
03/12/2014 — We know that telemedicine, the use of technology to deliver care at a distance, has the potential to expand access to care in underserved areas, reduce ER visits and save patients time. Questions remain, however, about how we can best expand telemedicine's use in primary care.
03/12/2014 — The Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative released a report in January that reviewed 20 patient-centered medical home studies released in the previous 17 months. The majority of those studies found overall cost reductions and decreases in ER visits, and 40 percent reported fewer hospital admissions.
03/10/2014 — When I first was approached about contributing to the Fresh Perspectives blog, I was nervous about signing up because I had finished residency only six months earlier. What could I possibly know that would benefit other physicians who have just finished residency? Honestly, I still feel that way.
Chapter Spotlight Series
More "As We See It" News
- 03/05/2014 — How Family Medicine Upstaged Ben Affleck
- 03/03/2014 — Private Practice Has Its Rewards, Challenges
- 02/28/2014 — FFM 2.0 Gathering Information, Insights
- 02/27/2014 — Primary Care Education Focus of Obama Budget Proposal
- 02/26/2014 — Successful Underdog Stories Resonate With Family Physicians
- 02/24/2014 — Caring for Patients With Addiction Problems Takes Practice
- 02/21/2014 — Building the Family Medicine Pipeline
- 02/19/2014 — Learning, Building Connections Are Two Benefits of Vaccine Fellowship
- 02/18/2014 — Advocacy Improves Community Health Beyond Exam Room
- 02/18/2014 — It's OK to Ask for Help
- 02/13/2014 — Finding Balance Between Home, Practice Worth the Effort