Documenting and coding for patients' immunization refusal may be necessary for quality initiatives and continuity of care. Several HCPCS and ICD-10 codes are relevant and may be used appropriately depending on specific payer and practice guidance for coding immunization refusal:
• For influenza vaccine refusal when the reason is documented, HCPCS code G8483, "Influenza immunization was not administered for reasons documented by clinician."
• For pneumococcal vaccine refusal when the reason is documented, HCPCS code G8866, "Documentation of patient reason(s) for not administering or previously receiving pneumococcal vaccine."
• For immunization refusal due to religious belief or group pressure, ICD-10 code Z28.1, “Immunization not carried out because of patient decision for reasons of belief or group pressure.”
• For immunization refusal due to another reason, such as the discomfort of injections, ICD-10 code Z28.21, “Immunization not carried out because of patient refusal.”
• For immunization refusal by a parent or other caregiver for a child, ICD-10 code Z28.82, “Immunization not carried out because of caregiver refusal.”
Read answers to readers’ Coding & Documentation questions in every issue of FPM.
Sign up to receive FPM's free, weekly e-newsletter, "Quick Tips & Insights," featuring practical, peer-reviewed advice for improving practice, enhancing the patient experience, and developing a rewarding career.