Upset or angry patients can drain your energy and ruin your entire day. To deal with them more effectively, try this quick method outlined in the video below by Dike Drummond, MD.
1. Notice they're upset: “You look really upset."
2. Listen to their story: “Tell me all about it.”
3. Show empathy: "I am so sorry that is happening to you."
4. Get their input for a solution: "How would you like me to help?"
5. Offer next steps: "Here's what I am willing to do."
6. Thank them for sharing their story: "Thanks for telling me what happened."
Read the full FPM article: “Eight Ways to Lower Practice Stress and Get Home Sooner."
Posted on Aug. 7, 2022 by FPM Editors
Sign up to receive FPM's free, weekly e-newsletter, "Quick Tips & Insights," featuring practical, peer-reviewed advice for improving practice, enhancing the patient experience, and developing a rewarding career.