Thursday Mar 01, 2018
Stop wasting time looking for medical supplies and equipment
More than one-third of nurses spend an hour or more per shift searching for medical equipment, according to one study.1 To prevent this problem in your practice, follow these four tips:
1. Standardize your exam rooms so they contain the same basic supplies and equipment stored in the same place.
2. Stock each exam room daily with the standard supplies.
3. Keep cabinetry to a minimum – only one cabinet per room with no drawers, which reduces the number of places to search.
4. Have specialized carts and trays nearby for situations requiring additional equipment or supplies, such as primary care dermatologic, orthopedic, gynecologic, or eye care procedures. These carts and trays can be moved to the exam room when needed.
Adapted from “Redesigning Your Work Space to Support Team-Based Care.”
1. Ford S. Nurses waste 'an hour a shift' finding equipment. Nurs Times. 2009;105(5):1.
Posted at 09:00AM Mar 01, 2018 by FPM Editors