- Colquitt JL, Pickett K, Loveman E, et al. Surgery for weight loss in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;(8):CD003641.
Hales CM, Carroll MD, Fryar CD, et al.; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of obesity and severe obesity among adults: United States, 2017–2018. NCHS data brief, no. 360. February 2020. Accessed June 15, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db360.htm
Strategies to Overcome and Prevent (STOP) Obesity Alliance. Weight can't wait. October 2020. Accessed June 15, 2021. https://stop.publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/stop.publichealth.gwu.edu/files/WCW%20guide/WCW%20-%20Guide%20for%20the%20Management%20of%20Obesity%20in%20the%20Primary%20Care%20Setting.pdf
Obesity Action Coalition. Obesity treatments: What is obesity treatment? Accessed June 15, 2021. https://www.obesityaction.org/obesity-treatments/what-is-obesity-treatment/
- Gloy VL, Briel M, Bhatt DL, et al. Bariatric surgery versus non-surgical treatment for obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ. 2013;347:f5934.
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Estimate of bariatric surgery numbers, 2011–2019. March 2021. Accessed June 16, 2021. https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbers
- Mechanick JI, Apovian C, Brethauer S, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the perioperative nutrition, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of patients undergoing bariatric procedures—2019 update. Endocr Pract. 2019;25(12):1346-1359.
Schroeder R, Harrison TD, McGraw SL. Treatment of adult obesity with bariatric surgery. Am Fam Physician. 2016;93(1):31-37. Accessed October 26, 2021. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2016/0101/p31.html
- Kallies K, Rogers AM; American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Clinical Issues Committee. American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery updated statement on single-anastomosis duodenal switch. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020;16(7):825-830.
- Coblijn UK, Verveld CJ, van Wagensveld BA, et al. Laparoscopic Rouxen-Y gastric bypass or laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as revisional procedure after adjustable gastric band—a systematic review. Obes Surg. 2013;23(11):1899-1914.
- Cho YM. A gut feeling to cure diabetes: potential mechanisms of diabetes remission after bariatric surgery [published correction appears in Diabetes Metab J. 2015;39(2):175]. Diabetes Metab J. 2014;38(6):406-415.
- Khosravi-Largani M, Nojomi M, Aghili R, et al. Evaluation of all types of metabolic bariatric surgery and its consequences: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Surg. 2019;29(2):651-690.
Department of Health and Human Services; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Body mass index: considerations for practitioners. Accessed September 21, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/downloads/bmiforpactitioners.pdf
Giordano S, Victorzon M. The impact of preoperative weight loss before laparoscopic gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2014;24(5):669-674.
- Anderin C, Gustafsson UO, Heijbel N, et al. Weight loss before bariatric surgery and postoperative complications: data from the Scandinavian Obesity Registry (SOReg). Ann Surg. 2015;261(5):909-913.
- Jamal MK, DeMaria EJ, Johnson JM, et al. Insurance-mandated preoperative dietary counseling does not improve outcome and increases dropout rates in patients considering gastric bypass surgery for morbid obesity. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2006;2(2):122-127.
- Bland CM, Quidley AM, Love BL, et al. Long-term pharmacotherapy considerations in the bariatric surgery patient. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2016;73(16):1230-1242.
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery; American College of Surgeons. Optimal resources for metabolic and bariatric surgery: 2019 standards. Accessed December 13, 2021. https://www.facs.org/media/fguhte1t/2022_cm_mbsaqip_standards_final_linked-toc.pdf
- Kominiarek MA, Jungheim ES, Hoeger KM, et al. American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery position statement on the impact of obesity and obesity treatment on fertility and fertility therapy; endorsed by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Obesity Society. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017;13(5):750-757.
- Chang S-H, Stoll CRT, Song J, et al. The effectiveness and risks of bariatric surgery. JAMA Surg. 2014;149(3):275-287.
- Puzziferri N, Roshek TB III, Mayo HG, et al. Long-term follow-up after bariatric surgery: a systematic review. JAMA. 2014;312(9):934-942.
- Courcoulas AP, Christian NJ, Belle SH, et al.; Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) Consortium. Weight change and health outcomes at 3 years after bariatric surgery among individuals with severe obesity. JAMA. 2013;310(22):2416-2425.
Yip S, Plank LD, Murphy R. Gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of outcomes. Obes Surg. 2013;23(12):1994-2003.
- Carlsson LMS, Sjöholm K, Jacobson P, et al. Life expectancy after bariatric surgery in the Swedish Obese Subjects study. N Engl J Med. 2020;383(16):1535-1543.
- Sjöström L, Narbro K, Sjöström CD, et al.; Swedish Obese Subjects Study. Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(8):741-752.
- Schauer PR, Bhatt DL, Kirwan JP, et al.; STAMPEDE Investigators. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes—3-year outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2014;370(21):2002-2013.
- Mingrone G, Panunzi S, De Gaetano A, et al. Metabolic surgery versus conventional medical therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes. Lancet. 2021;397(10271):293-304.
- Sjöström L, Peltonen M, Jacobson P, et al. Association of bariatric surgery with long-term remission of type 2 diabetes and with microvascular and macrovascular complications. JAMA. 2014;311(22):2297-2304.
- Yu J, Zhou X, Li L, et al. The long-term effects of bariatric surgery for type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized and non-randomized evidence. Obes Surg. 2015;25(1):143-158.
- Billeter AT, Eichel S, Scheurlen KM, et al. Meta-analysis of metabolic surgery versus medical treatment for macrovascular complications and mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019;15(7):1197-1210.
- Billeter AT, Scheurlen KM, Probst P, et al. Meta-analysis of metabolic surgery versus medical treatment for microvascular complications in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Br J Surg. 2018;105(3):168-181.
- Yang P, Chen B, Xiang S, et al. Long-term outcomes of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy versus Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity: results from a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019;15(4):546-555.
- Wiggins T, Guidozzi N, Welbourn R, et al. Association of bariatric surgery with all-cause mortality and incidence of obesity-related disease at a population level: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med. 2020;17(7):e1003206.
- Adams TD, Gress RE, Smith SC, et al. Long-term mortality after gastric bypass surgery. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(8):753-761.
- Arterburn DE, Olsen MK, Smith VA, et al. Association between bariatric surgery and long-term survival. JAMA. 2015;313(1):62-70.
- Davies SW, Efird JT, Guidry CA, et al. Long-term diabetic response to gastric bypass. J Surg Res. 2014;190(2):498-503.
- Manfield JH, Yu KK-H, Efthimiou E, et al. Bariatric surgery for non-surgical weight loss for idiopathic intracranial hypertension? A systematic review and comparison of meta-analyses. Obes Surg. 2017;27(2):513-521.
- Bower G, Toma T, Harling L, et al. Bariatric surgery and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a systematic review of liver biochemistry and histology. Obes Surg. 2015;25(12):2280-2289.
- Fakhry TK, Mhaskar R, Schwitalla T, et al. Bariatric surgery improves nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a contemporary systematic review and meta-analysis. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019;15(3):502-511.
- Ashrafian H, Toma T, Rowland SP, et al. Bariatric surgery or non-surgical weight loss for obstructive sleep apnoea? A systematic review and comparison of meta-analyses. Obes Surg. 2015;25(7):1239-1250.
- Hacken B, Rogers A, Chinchilli V, et al. Improvement in knee osteoarthritis pain and function following bariatric surgery: 5-year follow-up. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019;15(6):979-984.
- Lee Y, Yu J, Tikkinen KAO, et al. The impact of bariatric surgery on urinary incontinence: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BJU Int. 2019;124(6):917-934.
Li Y-J, Han Y, He B. Effects of bariatric surgery on obese polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019;15(6):942-950.
- Bañares SJ, Real LR, Segovia JC, et al. Evaluation of quality of life, weight loss, and evolution of comorbidities at 6 years after bariatric surgery. Endocrinol Diabetes Nutr (Engl ed). 2021;68(7):501-508.
- Surve A, Cottam D, Medlin W, et al. Long-term outcomes of primary single-anastomosis duodeno-ileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy (SADI-S). Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020;16(11):1638-1646.
- Chen G, Zhang G-X, Peng B-Q, et al. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus sleeve gastrectomy plus procedures for treatment of morbid obesity: systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Surg. 2021;31(7):3303-3311.
- Schauer DP, Feigelson HS, Koebnick C, et al. Bariatric surgery and the risk of cancer in a large multisite cohort. Ann Surg. 2019;269(1):95-101.
- Taube M, Peltonen M, Sjöholm K, et al. Association of bariatric surgery with skin cancer incidence in adults with obesity: a nonrandomized controlled trial. JAMA Dermatol. 2020;156(1):38-43.
- Xia Q, Campbell JA, Ahmad H, et al. Bariatric surgery is a cost-saving treatment of obesity—a comprehensive meta-analysis and updated systematic review of health economic evaluations of bariatric surgery. Obes Rev. 2020;21(1):e12932.
- Raaijmakers LCH, Pouwels S, Thomassen SEM, et al. Quality of life and bariatric surgery: a systematic review of short- and long-term results and comparison with community norms. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2017;71(4):441-449.
Hachem A, Brennan L. Quality of life outcomes of bariatric surgery: a systematic review. Obes Surg. 2016;26(2):395-409.
- Lupoli R, Lembo E, Saldalamacchia G, et al. Bariatric surgery and long-term nutritional issues. World J Diabetes. 2017;8(11):464-474.
Krez AN, Stein EM. The skeletal consequences of bariatric surgery. Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2020;18(3):262-272.
Tack J, Deloose E. Complications of bariatric surgery: dumping syndrome, reflux and vitamin deficiencies. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2014;28(4):741-749.
- Gu L, Chen B, Du N, et al. Relationship between bariatric surgery and gastroesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Surg. 2019;29(12):4105-4113.
Biörserud C, Olbers T, Fagevik Olsén M. Patients' experience of surplus skin after laparoscopic gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2011;21(3):273-277.
- Kitzinger HB, Abayev S, Pittermann A, et al. The prevalence of body contouring surgery after gastric bypass surgery. Obes Surg. 2012;22(1):8-12.
- Cooper TC, Simmons EB, Webb K, et al. Trends in weight regain following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2015;25(8):1474-1481.
- Karmali S, Brar B, Shi X, et al. Weight recidivism post-bariatric surgery: a systematic review. Obes Surg. 2013;23(11):1922-1933.
Schroeder R, Garrison JM, Johnson MS. Treatment of adult obesity with bariatric surgery. Am Fam Physician. 2011;84(7):805-814. Accessed October 26, 2021. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/1001/p805.html