Many patients do not obtain the recommended 150 minutes of weekly moderate physical activity. To help them get motivated and get moving, consider the use of mobile apps. Here are six apps reviewed and highly recommended by family physician David Rebedew, MD.
1. J&J Official 7 Minute Workout teaches users a high-intensity full-body work-out that they can complete within seven minutes.
2. 30 Day Fitness Challenge provides a template for making new exercise and dietary habits.
3. Charity Miles converts miles walked into money for the user's charity of choice.
4. Nike+ Run Club is an app for runners to log their duration, distance, and speed, gain motivation by listening to Nike athletes and coaches, and be involved in an online running community.
5. Zombies, Run! combines a role-playing game with a story to motivate users to run more and faster.
6. C25K (Couch to 5k) provides a walking/running program to help inactive patients increase their cardiovascular stamina.
Adapted from "Six Mobile Apps to Get Patients Started Exercising."
Sign up to receive FPM's free, weekly e-newsletter, "Quick Tips & Insights," featuring practical, peer-reviewed advice for improving practice, enhancing the patient experience, and developing a rewarding career.