Become a Student Member of the AAFP
Do More with the AAFP.
Explore family medicine with a free student membership, which lasts until you graduate medical school. As an AAFP member, you have access to valuable benefits and resources to support you throughout your medical school journey. Benefit from:
- Access to AAFP's award-winning journal, American Family Physician.
- Access to the online Family Medicine Board Review questions and answers.
- Connect with other medical students, residents and family physicians through your chapter.
- Leadership opportunities.
- Join a member interest group to connect with other AAFP members both online and in person who share your professional interests.
"A contentious battle over healthcare reform in this country is underway; a clear moment where medicine, health care delivery, and social justice issues intersect. As a dual MD/MPH student member of AAFP, I'm encouraged to have a platform where I can raise my voice on interrelated issues that are important to me, while also connecting with like-minded peers through civic engagement. What's not to love!"
— Jordan Rivera, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California-Los Angeles
- May have floor at Congress of Delegates. (Duly-elected student delegates to the Congress have additional privileges.)
- Students enrolled in allopathic or osteopathic medical schools that are approved by appropriate U.S. accrediting institutions as defined by the AAFP Commission on Education, including Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOA COCA).
International Medical Students
Medical students who are currently enrolled in a medical school in a country or territory outside the United States that is not accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOA COCA).
Join as a Student Member
Terminates upon graduation from medical school.
Student Membership Dues:
FREE for medical students enrolled in an LCME- or an AOA COCA-accredited medical school.
General Membership Information
- Applications are approved at the national level, subject to AAFP Bylaws.
- National headquarters completes enrollment. Transfers from one classification to another must be approved by the chapter.
- If all membership requirements are met, membership is continued on an annual basis, unless notification is received from the member.
ABOUT CHAPTER MEMBERSHIP
AAFP membership is unified, which means that members are required to belong to the national AAFP and to their appropriate chapter. The AAFP has a chapter for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Uniformed Services, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Members are also required to belong to a local chapter, if one exists in their area.
Chapter membership makes it convenient for AAFP members to access relevant information and focused resources right where they live and work. Chapters offer local and regional opportunities to network, mentor, volunteer, take a leadership role, and get involved in the AAFP.
Join as a U.S. Student Member
Term: Terminates upon graduation from medical school.
Student Membership Dues: FREE for medical students enrolled in an LCME- or an AOA COCA-accredited medical school.